PC starting up on its own.

Discussion in 'Software' started by autumnskies, Aug 4, 2009.

1. autumnskies

autumnskies Private E-2

Hello All, I hope this is the right forum.

silly little problem but one thats really irritating.

Its not actually my pc, its my Mums, and i have only just been made aware of the issue. Her PC, switches itself on automatically at 6am every morning. the only way to prevent this is to uplug everything. as she is of fairly limited mobility and the plugs are quite difficult to reach this is becoming a problem for her, (she doesnt want an easy to reach multiblock anywhere in sight rolleyes)

Any ideas how I can get rid of this for her? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and please im not that techy myself so any advice would need to be idiot and blonde proof.:-o many thanks in advance.

2. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

I'd check the BIOS for any Wake-on settings (e.g. Wake-on LAN).

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Is this a XP Media Center PC?

4. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

sounds like the automatic wake in the bios is set

5. autumnskies

autumnskies Private E-2

Hi, and thanks for the replies. sorry to sound such a numpty, but i dont know a great deal about her pc, apart from the fact its a dell, its old, and very slowwwwwwwwww! but it suits her. I cant get anymore info till i go take a look tomorrow, shes already in bed bless her,

How can i check the bios?

6. ComputerClinic

ComputerClinic Private E-2

To access the BIOS, you must hit a particular key during the first few seconds when a computer turns on. Common BIOS access keys are F2 and DEL, although on some computers its a different key such as F1, F3, or F12.

Once you get into the BIOS, try and find a setting called "Wake on LAN" and disable it. Or even better, look for something called "Load System Defaults" or something similar, and do that. DO NOT change anything besides those two particular settings. Improperly configuration of the BIOS can cause more problems with the computer.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

A workaround, plug the computer into a power strip before plugging it into the mains. When the computer is shut down, turn off the power strip. It won't wake up because the electricity isn't "connected". I had a computer that woke up at 9pm and that's what I did until I could find the fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds