Itunes is eating my songs! Help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mayatweak, Aug 5, 2009.

1. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

Hi guys!

Firstly, I'm sorry if this is a repeat - tried to search and none of the topics seem to be my problem. If there is one, though, just point me to it and I'll be happy as a clam! :p

When I play certain songs, when it hits a certain point, the counter will jump to 0.00 and the next song will start. It's like the data from then on has just disappeared. For example, once it hits 0:44 the counter will jump to 0:01 and the next song will start, cutting off the current song. Some of my songs only play 1 or 2 seconds into the song now.

So ... then I'll re-download the songs that are damaged, re-sync my ipod, and more songs will be like this! Totally different ones! And from what I can tell it's totally random as to which ones are affected.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give!! :)

Joanna

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Is this just happening when you are playing the songs through iTunes or does it happen on your iPod too?

Are you using the latest version of iTunes?

When it happens, look at whatever song it's happening to and right click on that song > Get info > 'Options' tab > Make sure none of the boxes are checked

Also, have you tried uninstall/reinstall?

3. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

Ah, thank you so much for responding!! I really appreciate the help.

It happens on my iPod too.

Yes, It just updated the other day. This has been happening for months though, and it's still happening.

OK, I will do just that, thanks! Worth a try!

I haven't, no, because I didn't want to risk losing my songs. Do you think I should? How would I make sure I don't lose my music?

(Sorry for being such a noob!) :confused

4. LauraR

If it turns out that you need to uninstall iTunes and do a reinstall, the way to save and transfer your songs is to basically set your iPod up as a harddrive and save them on there (note...it is Not set up like that now). Follow this guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

Now, before I tell you you should do this, the issue for me would be the fact that they are also playing like that on your iPod. I would need to make sure your songs weren't somehow corrupted. Unfortunately, I am not knowledgable enough to be able to help you there. You may try burning them to a CD and seeing if the song is played in it's entirety.

If you do need to go the uninstall route, make sure you completely uninstall it. Once you have uninstalled iTunes, run CCleaner, reboot, and then install a clean copy.

5. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

OK, I will do all of that! Thank you very much! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

6. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

I did try burning a CD, just to see what happens. Basically it played only a couple of seconds of audio (just like when playing on iTunes) and then the counter continued for the remainder of the song with no sound coming out. I'm assuming that means the files are corrupted.... I think I'm going to do an uninstall/reinstall ...

7. LauraR

Are most of your songs purchased on iTunes? If so, I would highly recommend calling Apple's customer service (or going on their website and emailing customer support).

I'm just afraid that if iTunes has corrupted your song files, you may lose them.

I was doing some research and saw that you had posted in the Apple thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9897720&tstart=0 (same nic, anyway). Did you ever try that suggestion?

The way to do that is go into iTunes > Edit > 'General' Tab > Import Settings Button

What is your setting?

I'm not sure why that would work and personally I think it should work regardless (so I would call Apple), but it might be worth a try.

Ok...one more thing. I found this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9519858

It seems maybe it could be an artwork problem?? Do you have your artwork showing?

I have never heard of this problem, but apparently there are a number of people having it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  8. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

I did initially plan to contact Apple, but they want $29 to help me. Stupid Apple, it's their program screwing things up. I just lost my job and I really can't afford to pay that if I don't have to! I was hoping if it was a fairly common problem that someone would have a way to fix it.

Yup, that was me posting in the apple thread. No, I didn't try that suggestion because I didn't understand what he was talking about ... It was like Greek to me :-o If the reinstall doesn't work I'll try that, too. :)

I'll check out that thread on the artwork, too. Hmmmm. That would be easy, if it was the artwork. And I already uninstalled itunes; going to reinstall it today and see what happens, I guess.

Thank you for all your help and doing that research for me!

9. LauraR

Let us know how it goes. It's always good to have the solution to the problem for others looking it up.

Good luck. :)

10. mayatweak

mayatweak Private E-2

Wow, I followed those links you gave me. There are a lot of people having similar problems with iTunes. How annoying that that don't do anything about it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds