whos stoked for Window 7?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shane Thrice, Aug 5, 2009.

?

Whos Stoked for Windows 7

1. Hell ya!!!

60.0%
  2. nupe

20.0%
  3. I Do Not Know O_0

20.0%
  1. Shane Thrice

Shane Thrice Private First Class

I just bought windows vista home premium for my new computer and since windows 7 is coming out, Microsoft was nice enough to give me a free windows 7 coupon so i could get it for free. My question is whats so great about Windows 7 and are you guys going to upgrade? Or not for fear that this may turn out so be like the vista fiasco.

I'm stupid cause i ment to put this in software could one of you nice moderators fix my mistake?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have Vista and windows 7 and after using the 6100 release for a while now i will be happy to buy it.
    I even put off my newbuild until the new year so i will be able to go straight in with windows7
    There is only one complaint i have with it and that is they have done away with "windows mail" so in order to use my ISP mail account i will have to install a 3rd party mail, other than that it runs like a dream.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm in need of a new laptop, so I'm excited that the release is coming soon. From everyone here at MGs who has installed the beta and RC of Windows 7, it sounds like MS did something right. I've preordered a copy to install on my Vista desktop.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Maybe if I was stuck with Vista I'd be excited for anything else, but right now XP is the flavor, heck my company just got on XP 1.5 years ago from 2K.
    I'll wait until it is 'tested'.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Will be migrating 3 PCs to Windows 7 this Thursday, as 2 run Win7 RC now and one was built for Win7 which is my main Desktop and as it runs it fine in a test install of the RC a while ago and runs all the apps I need and use.

I agree Microsoft did learn from Vista, but then as Windows 7 runs majority of Vista designed apps and drivers its hitting the ground running unlike XP > Vista when 3rd parties had to develop updates for their apps and drivers to be compatible (similar for 98/ME > XP as that was a bad 1st 6mths of XPs life, in compatability)

Whats good about it, well read up http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ for me I can do many tasks quicker and one of the major things that will help many novices is the Troubleshooting and Disgnostics tools are superb and will fix many common issues, and one I tested a while back many times was fixing Audio driver issues (while it will not get you the right driver if your PC was NOT already using the correct and working audio driver it will fix when it goes wrong due to services, settings being a miss etc)

[​IMG]

HomeGroup is superb in easy setup of a home network, although all PCs need to be Windows 7 to take advantage of this, although I have a mixed network of HomeGroup and normal network that plays well on Vista and Windows 7.

UAC is customizable, they brought back the slider for System Restore point size used on HDD, Search is much more improved and is pretty much on the fly and highlights the text as you go, memory management is improved on XP and Vista (while it may scare some when they view the Resource Monitor Ram page but its normal

[​IMG]

But we will get crys of Windows 7 ate my ram or its a hog.... just remember unused ram si wasted ram, not worth spending a fortune on 8GB or ram and having 7GB free doing nothing!

I have found startup and shutdown quicker (recomended PC specs as if a min spec PC it may not) also is tied in with if you do cleanup routines before you logoff as they could slow shutdown and startup while doing their bit.

Device Stage is good and as soon as more hardware makers get onboard it will be better.

Built in Firewall as more user friendly, not as much as I would like but better.

MS Paint, NotePad now have the Office type Ribbon menus, and with more functionality as well.

Windows Update now when you click to review what updates are waiting gives you much more info on what they are, plus when you get that long Language Pack update list, you can Shift and Down Arrow and highlight what updates you dont want and right click Hide multiples, previously you have to rigth click > hide each one.

[​IMG]

Defrag while not in the realms of O&O or Diskeeper its a good basic defrag and now gives you info, lacking a block map tho.

[​IMG]

Do try out the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor beta to see if your PC is fine.

Just a snippet of what I think.......

In the end give it a go or try out the RC version as its still available for download for a while to aid your choice if to go Windows 7 or not, but in the end your not forced to do so, its a personal choice.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Great info post Halo. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds