upgrading to Vista?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mynuwhalo, Aug 5, 2009.

1. mynuwhalo

mynuwhalo Private E-2

I'm thinking about upgrading to Vista from xp. When reading (things you need to know)on the Vista installation disk it tells you to know the name of your computor if you're going to connect to a network.

Okay, but doesn't tell you what you need to do with the name of your computor once installation is complete.

Is there a place that I will need to insert that info in order to connect to the network or get an internet connection?

#2...I have a built computor so I have my Motherboard and videacard install cds....do I need to run them again once I install Vista to install drivers etc?

2. mynuwhalo

mynuwhalo Private E-2

I want to install a clean copy of Vista so everything from xp will be gone.

3. So you are going to format your XP drive then install a clean copy of Vista?

If this is the case.

Simple run through the set up and give your computer a name, if you don't have a domain controller leave it on workgroup with what ever workgroup name you wish.

Once you have finished the set up no doubt there will be a few drivers missing which Vista couldnt install, if this is the case run the drivers CD for your graphics card and mobo and then make sure all the drivers are up to date.

Also - Why vista now? Windows 7 is out soon.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It would be best to get hold of the Vista drivers for your motherboard, graphics and sound before upgrading and store them on a flash drive or CD. Installing XP drivers into a Vista system can cause serious problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds