Help need with fsm

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex30, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,

I have just found a new entry on my start up list which simply reads fsm
    I have no clue what it relates to. I did a file search with the Windows utility and it showed two files a) FSMGMT.MS- Which was shown as a C:/WINDOWS\ I386 File
    b)fsmgmt Which shows as C:/WINDOWS/System32 Microsoft Common File

Can anyone help with the identification of this entry as I am suspecting malware and am tempted to delete the files but am not sure.

Regards Alex

2. markj

markj Private E-2

I am aware of "fsmgmt.msc" file, which is a legitimate part of Windows OS, and is a pre-configured console for shared folder management.

Are you saying that one file has an extension of "MS-" and the other one has no extension?

3. markj

markj Private E-2

Please also take this additional info into consideration:

Since fsmgmt.msc is a part of Windows, unless something that you have is an imposter, please run this command (yes just three letters):

mmc

This will open Microsoft Management Console, and if what you have is not a threat and provided configured properly, you should be able to see "Shared Folders" under Console Root (in the left column).

If the "Shared Folders" item is there, you should be able to remove it by clicking "File -> Add/Remove Snap-in...".

That would be the proper way to deal with Windows pre-configured consoles (*.msc files).

4. Alex30

Hi Markj and Domluc,

CCleaner only has the info ; HKCU:Run fsm There is nothing under file
    SpyBot S+D has the same info.

Here are the files found

FSMGMT.MS- C:\WINDOWS\I386 4KB MS-File
    fsmgmt C:\WINDOWS\system32 32KB Microsoft Common

That is all the info I have.

Cheers Alex

5. markj

markj Private E-2

On my other machine with clean WinXP x86 SP3, there is the fsmgmt file in C:\Windows\system32 with size 32760 bytes. So this is all right.

The I386 sub-directory that you have in Windows directory, is not usually a part of clean Windows installation. Perhaps it is part of an OEM preinstallation. Long story short, I have checked my WinXP installation disk, and I can see there "FSMGMT.MS_" file, with size of 3597 bytes.

So the second file that you have is a compressed version of FSMGMT file.

Conclusion - no threat in your system! :)

6. Alex30

Hi,
    Thanks Markj and Domluc for your time and effort. It is very much appreciated. It is odd that it suddenly appeared in the start up list, it wasn't there yesterday but it's great to know it's legit !
    Cheers Alex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds