Connection an APPLE through VPN

Discussion in 'Software' started by be0, Aug 5, 2009.

1. be0

be0 Corporal

Hi All,

I have a question that might be somewhat challanging. I am trying to connect an APPLE Mac Book pro to our networking via VPN. Now I know I am connected because I can access websites that are on our local network.

What I cannot do is browse any directories that are shared on our network? Is there a way to do this?

Also is there such a thing as remote desktop connection for APPLE?

2. LejaBeatz

LejaBeatz Private E-2

How are you trying to connect to the directories? are you using "cmd+K" to map the shared directories?

For remote desktop, depending on your version of OSX, under sharing in system preferences you will either enable Apple Remote Desktop(10.4) or Remote Management(10.5).

3. be0

be0 Corporal

is cmd+K something different? I dont even know what that does. I manage 150 PCs and one apple. 1 apple is more of a pain in the a** then the 150 PCs combined.

4. LejaBeatz

LejaBeatz Private E-2

If you are sure you are on the local network via vpn, pressing "cmd+k" (on the mac) brings up a dialog box. If you know the exact path to your directories you can connect to them from here. It is basically the same as mapping a drive in Windows. As far as browsing, i'm not sure. Maybe if you connect to the top-most location and go from there. But in that case the user would need access to everything just to get them to show up. Hope I make sense. 50/50 mac and pc users at my work, and macs are a pain on Windows domains. Good Luck

5. be0

be0 Corporal

Hey Man,

Thanks for your help and here is the final solution for you and whoever else finds this post. When connected through VPN (I am using a Cisco Systems VPN client not the Apple one) you need to press the cmd+k. However, you need to specify that you are not connecting to an Apple server. So, to do that in the server address box you need to type:

smb://serveripaddress

Ex: smb://192.168.10.10

Works great. Took me 3 weeks to get this information and I got it from an Apple consultant at $85/hr.

Great. Fantastish.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds