0xc000014c Error with a Twist

Discussion in 'Software' started by J3ff, Aug 7, 2009.

1. J3ff

J3ff Private E-2

My girlfriend's computer is acting up, so if you guys could help me be the hero, I'd appreciate it.

When we try to start Windows Vista Home Premium, it pops up with the 0xc000014c error and says that the registry file is corrupt. As I've read the other threads about this problem, I realize that the solution is to boot from the Vista DVD. However, I can't seem to get the computer to do that.

I can't even get into the BIOS. I've tried all sorts of buttons (the screen says to use DEL) but nothing has any effect. It just skips straight to the screen telling me that Windows was not shut down properly.

On top of all that, her computer turns itself off after being on for just a couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure it's not a heat problem. We've got the side panel off and it feels cool on the inside.

So I'm not really sure what to do at this point. Every solution requires me to do something that is also messing up. Do all of these symptoms point to anything?

Here are the specs:

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (2 of them, RAID1 setup)

LG Black Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Thanks in advance.

2. J3ff

J3ff Private E-2

Okay, so the random shutoffs is, in fact, probably a heat problem, since the video card fan spins for about two seconds and then stops.

Still, can't boot from the DVD.

3. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day J3ff

have you tried repeatedly pressing F2 at the flash screen when you first start the computer that's the screen that shows the mother board information

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds