Software to convert records into digital

Discussion in 'Software' started by Speculant, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I need two things: a good turntable (maybe USB, but im fine with one that provides analogue audio outputs, just a NEW one), and some good line-in recording software to record all my dad's old records to digital files (i.e. mp3s).

im not looking to spend a ton of money, for example a $250 turntable would be TOO much.

it would be a major plus if the recording software was able to split up the files during recording instead of just producing one huge music file.

thanks!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

USB turntables generally include their own software, but if you just plug an old-school t-table in to your PC sound card, you can then use either Wavosaur or Audacity, to record the audio coming through the "Line-In" port on the sound card. I'm FAR from any sort of expert on the subject, but do I know either of these will do. Once the audio is saved to an MP3 or WAV (or whatever), you can then do whatever you want with the saved audio.....
    :-D

3. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

4. Puppywunder58

There are also USB turntables available at Walmart and Target for $80 to $100.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  5. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

my dad seems very set on buying this one. it looks pretty good and comes with software to split up tracks.

does it look good?

6. Puppywunder58

It looks great, but you'll notice that they are only showing a Canadian price.

Also, it only rips to WAV files, which are huge files. You would need to convert them to MP3 files, if you so desire.

Any time you buy from a big name store like that you're going to pay a premium price for it.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Warn your dad not to place too much reliance on the software doing a proper job of splitting the recording into tracks, especially when playing classical. The software will interpret any interval of near silence to mean end of track, and start a new one.

Similar words of caution apply to automatic unwanted noise reduction, despite the fancy claims made for it.

If you are looking for a no-fuss solution and aren't too concerned about the final sound quality then a one-stop solution such as this will speed up what can be a very time consuming and tiresome task. The alternative is to try to pick up a high quality used turntable, or better still a used high quality modular hifi system which includes an amplifier, connect it to your line-in and edit the wav files yourself using Audacity or similar. I use a 1980s Bang & Olufsen turntable and tuner/amp and have been able to get pretty good results, but it is time consuming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds