Kubuntu 6.10 Questions??

Discussion in 'Software' started by odiear3rd, Aug 7, 2009.

1. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I have installed Kubuntu 6.10 to my computer because wins was giving me a fit. I want to know how can I install my HP Print so Kubuntu will accept the installation or do I need to let their software recognize the printer?? I am just getting my feet wet using Kubuntu. It is running much faster on my system that wins. The drivers software seem to be usless now that wins is gone. I am learning Kubuntu by the process of elimination. I made a wins backup just before wins crashed on me. This is fun tho like stumbling around in the dark. The software CD Drivers I want to install is: NERO for my CD/RW drive ; HP Deskjet 932c Printer CD driver; Calender Creator as such. Appreciate any and all help you can give me.

2. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

HP Print, is that the photo editing software? No longer able to be used, but you will have tools to edit photos including GIMP. There is a GUI for HP Printers and your 932C should install with few errors. I have two HP printers on my network and can print to either of them.

Instead of Nero (There is a Linux version) you will used K3B. You cannot burn multiple discs in Linux like you can in Windows.

Calendars can be created within Open Office.

6.10 is almost end of life and except for running KDE 3.5 instead of 4.0, you will find some issues resolved with upgrade to 9.10.

:major

4. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I have had this Kubuntu CD for several years now. I tried to download 9.10 it got about 40% then stalled. What upgrade should I use and will upgrade easily?? Navagation in Kubuntu is not as easy as Windows especially when when you are in a different world. I jst got to find my way thru all this. I love the way there is not hesitation when you surf around on Kubuntu. Most of the CD drives are Wins and are no good here. Thats good because you don't have to add software to fix a problem on WINS. If I can get Kubuntu to recognize my printer now I will be happy. Anyoe got any suggestions??

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

I believe you can update to 9.04 from the command line.

Open a terminal and type the following commands

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Depending on your machine it should then take from 10-40 minutes to do the update and you will have to reboot.

You can also get up a CD mailed to you.

https://shipit.kubuntu.org/

6. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I tried it in Run Command but that didnot work. Please be more specific as to what terminal to open and can I copy and paste the cammand??

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go here https://shipit.kubuntu.org/
    and order the current Kubuntu shipped to you. There would be so many packages to upgrade to go from 6.10 to 9.04 that I'm sure lots would break; it is not worth the headache.

If you don't want to wait for the freebie, you can buy it from a distributor
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/purchase#distributor

After you have the latest version, getting your printer set up will be easier because the database is bigger and includes more printers.

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

It has been a while since I played with KDE, but the commands should work the same.

The name of the KTerminal is Konsole

9. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Thanks guys. I order the CD shipped to me.

10. BoredOutOfMyMind

Have you attempted the upgrade?

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

BoredOutOfMyMind, he's running v6 and the current version is 9. I'd never recommend trying to update three versions!

12. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

You are so right about the out dated version It has no current download support. I lost it because of trying to download. I reinstalled again having to use another user name. Just got it back tonight. I'll wait for the .09 version to get here. Thanks again to you and boredoutofmymind.

13. BoredOutOfMyMind

[​IMG]

You are correct, should upgrade to next versions sequentially. Sorry Odier3rd, my mistake.

If you correct the software sources and change the distribution from Edgy (6.10) to Feisty (7.04) , then Gutsy (7.10), I believe you can go from 7.10 to 9.04.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds