Cleaning up a computer to get it to run quicker

Discussion in 'Software' started by sierra, Aug 7, 2009.

1. sierra

sierra Private First Class

I read an article where it said to open the Task Manager and end all processes except for systray and explorer and then it had some other things to do after that. When I attempted this, it said that I might losing data and system instablility if process was terminated. Is it okay to end these processes for clean up? There are quite a few in the task manage window.
    The computer keeps freezing and gets a (Not Responding) message in the top blue bar a lot. Documents and programs open and close extremely slow as well.
    Thank you for your help.
    Windows XP Pro, SP 3

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?
    512MB is the lowest recommended, but 1GB is much better.
    And check on what is on your Startup or running in the background.
    This in addition to DomLucs suggestion.

3. Suff

Suff Private E-2

Who ever told you that was a moron.
    Never end a task unless you know what it is or does.
    Read some of the guides this site has on cleaning.

I would never do that.
    It will corrupt alot of files and its a decent way to crash your computer.

4. sierra

sierra Private First Class

512 MB RAM
    Thanks! I will continue to follow your advice and see how it goes. Thanks for setting me straight about the Task manager. You guys are great!

5. brainbone

brainbone Private E-2

Re: Cleaning up a computer to get it to run quicker-Ineed help with this too! Am I in

I have an fsb.exe running in my task manager/processes (uses 30,000-70,000k mem) I have done searches, checked major geeks and asked several techs etc... it does not show up in sys32 9there is an fsmgmt folder that has share files in it) ...any ideas what it is and what I should do about it? I am wanting to free up some RAM...using (boot from) one of the 80gb hd that was in the computer I bought from you, but it was wiped... I work from and save all files to another drive (500gb) and have THESE things running at startup.

AVGCSRVX
    AVGNSX
    AVGRSX
    AVGTRAY
    AVGUI
    AVGWDSVC
    CSRSS
    DLLHOST
    EXPLORER.EXE
    FNFLICENSINGSERVICE
    FBS
    ISASS
    MBAMSERVICE
    MSCONFIG
    MSDTC
    NVSVC32
    REMINDER
    RSMSINK
    SERVICES
    SMSS
    SVCHOST (LOCAL, NETWORK, SYSTEM)
    SYSTEM
    TASKMGR
    VSSVC
    WINLOGIN

/brainbone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds