problem with Windows Media Player in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by grizzwald, Aug 8, 2009.

1. grizzwald

grizzwald Private E-2

WMP will no longer open. I haven't been able to find a way to re-install version 11 for Vista.

2. grizzwald

grizzwald Private E-2

Hello DomLuc,
    Thanks for the reply. I looked into Event Viewer and couldn't find any reference to WMP errors or events. I've been looking at blogs and such online for a couple of weeks now without much success. WMP started acting up a couple of months ago. I would click to open the program, my hourglass would spin for a second or two and stop and no program. It would work a couple of times after a reboot and then stop again and now that won't help either. I had a similar problem a couple of computers ago with WMP and simply re-installing the software always fixed the problem. That has worked often for me in the past with other software as well. Now that WMP is part of Vista's OS, that doesn't seem to be a viable option. Nothing else seems to be affected; all other audio is fine and my substitute software, real player, has no issues. I just prefer WMP and I'd like to get it working again if for no other reason than the principle of the matter. I recently replaced my video card and power supply but this was all prior to that and nothing seems affected by those hardware changes. Any thoughts out there.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Search box type in Run then this
    regsvr32 wmp.dll

You can also type this
    sfc /scannow
    to see if WMP 11 is repaired because it is part of Vista.

Here's a page with WMP links
    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/7763#tab0
    maybe something there will help if the above two commands don't work.

4. grizzwald

grizzwald Private E-2

Thanks for the input. I had an issue with permissions in Vista but got around that and WMP is back and running. Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds