Windows XP Pro Invalid Serial

Discussion in 'Software' started by bahmtf, Aug 9, 2009.

1. bahmtf

bahmtf Private E-2

My friends Acer Travelmate 4400 was completely run over by an 18 ton virus. So I worked and worked and tried everything but nothing could fix it. I couldn't run anti-virus, anti-spyware, or anti-anything programs. I couldn't browse the internet or download files. It wouldn't boot up in safe mode and it was just a wreck. So i brought it home and wiped the hard drive and reinstalled XP pro. Everything went smoothly until it asked for the cd key and when i typed the cd key in that came pasted to the bottom of the acer it says its invalid. What the heck do I do now? i hope we don't have to pay for a new cd key. your help is greatly appreciated

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

3. bahmtf

bahmtf Private E-2

well seeing how contacting microsoft about xp is now $60 bucks a pop... I think if i have to ill just buy another version of xp. I was wondering if the cd i am using is the retail version and my product key is an oem version would that be the problem?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

I recall that Adrynalyne mentioned that one could not use an OEM key to activate an installation using a Retail disc and vice versa. See if you can find an OEM disc to use.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds