I can't find this stupid SBC anti-virus

Discussion in 'Software' started by Recycle Bin, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

Apparently "SBC Anti-Virus" or something like that is still running according to Avast and ComboFix. The only problem is that I don't see it anywhere in my uninstall folder or my startup or taskmanager. I really want this annoyance to go away.

I tried RevoUninstaller but that didn't find it.

2. Recycle Bin

Still says it's running.

3. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

SBC (the phone co) was at one time giving free McCaffee antivirus .. see if thats what is running..

4. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day Recycle Bin

i did some googling and found that sbc antivurus is part of a package that comes with yahoo internet provider,not sure if that helps. also have you check through msconfig in services to see if you can disable the program from there.

5. iwunderdownunder

g'day again Recycle Bin

was doing a bit more research on this and found that it could also be listed as at&t yahoo group in you add and remove programs. i hope this also helps good luck

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

I think iwunder and me are literally on the same web page :-D

You could also post in Computer Associates forums. They seem to have developed this SBC security app for Yahoo..

http://homeofficeforum.ca.com/homeofficeforum/

They do have tools to uninstall their security suites. But I'm not sure it will work for this antispy app :confused

Cheers

7. Recycle Bin

Didn't work. :(

Maybe there is some other file buried somewhere saying that it's still running and active.

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

This boolmin' SBC has all but given me a headache today :-D
    I managed to find myself in Mcaffe (reg hack) & Comodo forums and god alone knows were else without a solution :eek

Least to say, its created a headache for tons of people :p

Like you mentioned, I see in in your ComboFix logs you posted in Malware Removal. Being listed as an AV along with Avast! And 4-5 other entries.

As it is not malware, don't post there for removal. Unless Halo, dr.moriarty, Kes or Laura say it Ok.

In the mean time lets try to fix this.

Cheers...

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

10. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Please check in C: under Program files and see if you have Visual Network installed. Could be wrong but I believe that the SBC files will be located there.:)

11. iwunderdownunder

g'day Recycle Bin

i don't know if you have tried this but once i had trouble locating a service called cscanner which was left over from when i uninstalled zone alarm firewall it was driving me nuts.i t couldn't be located in msconfig but i was able to disable it through control panel administration and services. i then ran regedit navigated to hkey local machine-system-control set-services and scroll through them and see if you can locate the folder there. it is wise before you try to modify the registry to back it up using something like erunt.check in all 3 control set folders ,if you locate the folder in there right click and try and delete it.
    hope this helps good luck.

12. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

I believe Novice hit it on the head. The below entries are found in your logs posted on 5/20/09 in this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=190129
    [​IMG]

13. Recycle Bin

Won't deleting all those IP stuff mess up my internet?

14. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

More than likely. Now you know that it's part of bundled software from your ISP and that you should contact them before proceeding with any further removal attempts.

dr.m

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds