Strange Window Appears Before Windows XP Home Logon

Discussion in 'Software' started by superstar, Aug 9, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I recently began to see a strange window that appears before windows logon, with some weird characters inside and strange title. This all happened while I was cleaning my computer from a virus following all the steps in the Malware sections "RUN AND READ ME" [specifically after running MGTools].

The weird characters inside the window always change during every reboot. here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP3 with 512Mb of Ram

I'm about to shoot my foot off... This is driving me insane :mad:crybaby:boxing:***:banghead.

TimW tried to help me in the Malware thread I started but he said it's time to ask for help here in the software forum since he really doesn't know what the cause could be. He said my pc is now free of all malware, spyware, greyware, virus', etc. Here's the thread I started in the Malware section in case you want to know everything that happened during the virus removal, when this added problem started happening:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=195710

The only thing that he just thought of was using msconfig to start up in Diagnostic Mode. That did bear fruit and doesn't make the weird message pop up during the logon screen. But I don't know what to do from there, and how to get it to not do that in Normal Mode.

Thanks...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Go to start > run > type in regedit and click run.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and DELETE LegalNoticeText and LegalNoticeCaption

3. superstar

I did that and restarted... The message didn't come up! But I restarted again and it did... I checked to see if those entries were back in regedit and they weren't. They're still gone from when I deleted them. Any other suggestions?

4. LI_Geek_95

Reboot again. Just try it.

5. superstar

Still pops up!

6. LI_Geek_95

Ok now this is gonna look weird until u change it back, but i need to see how it reacts.
    Go to User Accounts inside control panel, go to Change the way users log on and off and then uncheck both boxes, press OK and reboot.

7. superstar

It's a logon issue I would assume. Safe Mode, Normal mode . . . all have the same problem. Only way it doesn't pop up is msconfig Diagnostic Mode. I'll see if I try what you just suggested and post back. But the thing is I'm the administrator so how would doing what your suggesting help? There are no other users on this pc...

8. LI_Geek_95

This shows:
    [​IMG]
    (or something very similar)

instead of:
    [​IMG]

9. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

also try this location in the registry for the legal notice.
    HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system

Just something else for you to try. Not sure, but this location may just be for when Group Policy pushes this out in a domain.

10. LI_Geek_95

HKLM is not inlculeded in XP Home's Registry

11. superstar

It may be some sort of corrupt registry... I may just use a cloned image of my hdd to restore it back the way it was in March when I created the image. I've never restored an image before I hope it works. Because nothing above is. Thanks for your effort. I will be doing this tonight! I'll post back... If all goes wrong I'll revert back to the way my pc is now and ask for more help from you guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds