DVD authoring Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by renelson, Aug 9, 2009.

1. renelson

renelson Private E-2

I am using VSO's avi to DVD encoder and burner as well as Nero 9. Sometimes I get a synch problem with the dialogue and the video portion. Hiw can I fix this?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Sync problems can occur when converting AVIs to DVD for a number of reasons; if the PC is being used while the converting takes place uses additional resources which can cause the converting program to slow down and speed up as resource use changes which can result in sync issues; if the source AVI file is not 'clean', the conversion can get out of sync; many AVIs will have unneeded bytes at the beginning or end of the file which can result in the conversion being out of sync because the converter sees the AVI file as a whole and and adjusts the audio track to the video track, if there is 'dead space' in the form of unneeded bytes, the audio track can be off slightly. There are many other reasons, but these are the most common. The fixes: first, do not use the PC while converting the AVI to DVD; before I had a home DVD player that could play DivX/XViD files, I did lots of converting to DVD and I always turned off the monitor and did something else for an hour so and just left the PC alone. For best results, use the highest quality settings possible; this will take longer, but the end result is usually better; if encoding on an older/slower PC, high quality settings should probably not be used 'cuz it can take over 8 hours to convert one movie. 2: check the AVI before converting it; watch it and see if there is a sync issue; a minor sync issue in the AVI can turn in to a major sync issue when converted. Sync issues in AVI files are easily fixed by using the free program AVI-Mux GUI. You can also re-encode an AVI file with Virtual Dub, if it gives you a warning about a variable audio bit rate, use VDub MP3Freeze, it can handle VBR and video glitches like 'freeze frames'. Sometimes re-encoding a 'dirty' AVI can 'clean' it up a bit. Third: the only way to tell if there's unneeded bytes at the beginning or end of an AVI file is to open the file with G-Spot. This will not only tell you if there's uneeded bytes that might cause a problem, but tells you just about anything you could possibly want to know about the source AVI file, frame rate, aspect ratio, size of the audio track vs video track, encoded bit rate, audio encoding, etc etc etc. If unneeded bytes are discovered, simply use VirtualDub (or VDub MP3Freeze) to cut off the first 2 or 3 frames of the video, and/or the final 2 or 3 frames (I usually cut most of the credits off the end also, there's no need to encode 20 minutes of credits). Spending 5 minutes in VirtualDub can save lots of time and avoid headaches later. This brings up the point of frame rates, if the frame rate is changed during the encode, this can also cause audio sync problems, as can changing from PAL to NTSC (or vice-versa) during the conversion. If possible, try to use the AVI file's original frame rate with the converted DVD.... anyway, I hope all this helps more than it confuses....
    :-D

(BTW- all the programs I listed are 100% freeware)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. renelson

renelson Private E-2

Thanks a Million ... You ROCK:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds