Need to delete locked user account

Discussion in 'Software' started by caryzoo, Aug 10, 2009.

1. caryzoo

caryzoo Private E-2

My 13 yr old daughter blocked me out....1500 dollars later I'm trying to delete her user account. The computer...me as administrator...will not let me..it freezes.. she apparently has her own Paypal account and charged ANOTHER 500 to my phone account. We will be homeless (again...last year, until I found a job we were.)...I tried deleting her account...I can't...HELP.....someone!!!! She has somehow figured out different passwords...3 on each of our 3 computers (different ones for each computer...courtesy of me) Is she just good or there a program I should be looking for???

2. hwmsh

hwmsh Private E-2

Start computer in safe mode and logon as Administrator. Goto control panel and user account and remove all other accounts.

3. As HWMSH says boot into safe mode, log into the administrator account (should just be called aministrator - can only be seen in the user list during safemode) and if the computer was set up with default settings it may not have a password.
    Once in there remove the accounts, set a password on the account you are in and change the password on your standard account.

Please get back to us with any questions or further problems.

I strongly suggest some security put in place to prevent your daughter from causing you any more greif on the computer. Feel free to PM me if you need assistance.

4. Greywood1862

Greywood1862 Private First Class

One thing you surely need to do is to set up any/all accounts to which she has access as limited accounts. That way she won't have admin privileges and can't affect your account.

Just curious, how does a minor have a PayPal account? They couldn't get a credit card. They can't get a bank account on their own; it would have to be a joint account with a parent or guardian. If PayPal set up an account for her without your knowledge or permission, you might have a claim against them.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

As noted, password protect all user accounts and make sure it is a password that is obscure and one you've never used.

There are many many free keylogger programs out there that could be used to obtain passwords. I would suggest you change every single one of them immediately that you use for every single account. Again, use good passwords (not your dog or sister's name).

From PayPal's Terms of Use:

As already asked, how on earth does a 13 yr old get access to a paypal account? I would say if you call paypal, you would have some kind of case.

6. caryzoo

caryzoo Private E-2

I am not sure how it happened, according to Paypal, she tried and failed using fake names etc twice, she finally succeeded. Now my phone bill is (er...WAS)being charged a few hundred, now suspended. I think she has a program that captures passwords, How els could she figure out 3 different ones on 3 different computers? I actually have the other towers in my trunk, afraid to let her at them, I take the modem with me everyday for this one. Finally, Read me first is done. Tring to delete her account, how does one log on in safe mode?

7. caryzoo

caryzoo Private E-2

I still can't delete her account. I've done the whole red me first and cleaning my XP, as asked a few ago, I would like to know how to log on in safe mode (I have no idea what it is) I have changed all the passwords, but still can't delete the account. Thanks to all!

8. LauraR

Hi

In order to get into safe mode, you need to reboot your computer, as soon as your computer begins to boot up, tap the 'F8' key continuously until the boot screen comes up. You will need to use your keyboard to navigate to safe mode (arrow keys).

Was anything detected when you did the Read and Run? I see that you have not posted in the Malware Forum.

9. caryzoo

caryzoo Private E-2

I logged in in safe mode. The only accounts listed there are myself, administrator, and guest

In normal mode, myself and one for each of my daughters. Any ideas on why?

Also I can't seem to figure out how to post logs to malware forum.

Thanks, all.

10. LauraR

Hi

That is correct. Those are the only accounts that should since they are all administrator accounts.

Log in as admin (screen will look odd so don't worry about that) > then go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts

Make your changes there. All accounts should show up now. Please be sure to disable the Guest account

As far as attachments, here is a guide:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  11. caryzoo

caryzoo Private E-2

Is this how you attach logs?

Thanks.

12. LauraR

Hi

No. I deleted your post.

You must start a new thread in the Malware Forum and Attach your logs. Please attach your logs in your new thread in malware following these instructions (which I already linked you to in my last post):

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86880

If you have a question regarding these instructions, please ask here.

13. LauraR

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds