Confused with numbers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex30, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,
    When backing up to my memory stick the programme tells me the data is going in at a rate of about 60 KB per second but 7,225,773 KB of data is actually copied in around 25 mins which equates to a rate of 4632 Kb per second.
    Am I missing something or is the programme just wrong ?

Regards Alex

2. What program?

3. Alex30

Hi,
    The programme is Macrium Reflect Free, the disk imaging software

Cheers Alex

4. Is it an estimate? If this is the case it may just turn out it's just not super accurate.

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

60KB!! Are you sure. Doubt there is stick that slow. 600KB equates around about.. Do the math. Cheers :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  6. Alex30

Hi,
    Yes I have done the maths and thats what worries me.
    Macrium shows me [as the back up is actually happening] that the data is going in at approx 60KB per sec. I say approx as it keeps varying. That equates to 3,600 KB per minute. It runs for 25 min so we have 90,000 KB
    At the end I actually have a disk image of 7,225,773 KB which is an input rate of 4,632 KB per second. That seems a high figure but it comes down to a disk image of about 6.9 GB . Macrium compresses the 12 I have down to 6.9.

Cheers Alex

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Alex, you are mixing up your kbps and kBps. It's bits and bytes. Bytes being 8x

So for confusion's sake 90000*8 is close to 7,225,773 ;)

And 60KB transfer is wrong.. So it's all kinda wrong Cheers

8. Alex30

Hi,
    Help!
    With you on the bits and bytes but 90,000 times 8 is 720,000 so we are out by a factor of ten.
    Cheers Alex

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hang on I was pulling your chain :)
    Do the math:
    7,225,773/60sec/25min=4817kb/8 = 602 kBps

10. Alex30

Hi,
    So it's going in at 600kB persec and not 60 .
    Ok
    Cheers Alex

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned the data transfer is only an estimate, I have used Macrium Reflect, think its a good free app, but like most apps that transfer data they fluctuate or give an overall estimate based on various files, at times I haev seen the transfer being quick and saying 20mins, next it says 1hr, just depends on what files its doing and their size.

USB transfers do tend to be random, if your OS is Vista, do get SP1 (preferably 2) as it has updates to USB data transfer as RTM had bad transfer speeds.

12. Alex30

Cheers Halo

Alex

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds