OMG...I think I messed up somehow

Discussion in 'Software' started by DoeZ, Aug 11, 2009.

1. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Hello...I think I completely messed up this laptop. I was having problems with a pop-up...ad.doubleclick.net and following just every boards advice nothing worked. I ran all sorts of stuff...spyblaster-spybot S&D-superantispyware-malewarebytes...ccleaner...registry cleaner...avast I think thats about all of them...nothing worked..while I was trying to fix that I got another problem when I would reboot the laptop...a white screen that said active desktop recovery...again I followed the directions and nothing...googled it and followed those directions still nothing...now what happens is on the left side of the desktop you can see the icons and 1/4 of the pix...and the rest of the desktop is white. So I figured I would uninstall all those programs I installed and ran and even uninstalled IE8 and start from scratch...well that didn't help either. The good news is I'm not getting that pop-up anymore but the bad news is my desktop is totally messed up. PLease can anyone help me here...I would so appreciate anything.:cry

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

The fact that you are seeing Active Desktop Recovery makes me think you are using Windows 98SE. Are you? If you are then turn off the active desktop.

Does your PC boot into Safe Mode correctly or not?

3. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Well I guess its windows 98...there's a sticker that says that...I thought it was windows xp...I tried turning it off and it still does the same thing...only it gave me 1/4 of a pix and the rest of screen is white. I believe it boots in safe mode correctly...I did boot it into safe mode and ran something I was told...just can't think of it right now. But I cleaned it up while it was in safe mode.

4. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Ok...I got it working correctly. Just another question...if your still running windows 98 can you install IE8?

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

No, you can not install IE 7 either. Make sure if you are running IE 6 that you have all the security updates for it.
    This site http://www.mdgx.com/ which deals in older versions of windows, might have security updates for IE6.

6. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Well after all that it turns out I have windows XP...so I uninstalled IE and then reinstalled it and so far so good. I did get that one pop-up and then a few different ones but we'll see how this goes before anything else. Thanks so much;)

7. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Well as you can see I'm back...all is well with everything but I keep getting that pop-up "ad.doubleclick.net". Please how do I stop this:confused

8. DoeZ

DoeZ Private E-2

Now I'm getting mad. I fix one thing...I stopped that annoying pop-up but then I get the active desktop recovery white screen again...I fix the active desktop recovery and the pop-up comes back. I don't get it...I need to know how to fix both of these. This is what I did to fix the active destop recovery...

"desktop.htt pretty much controls the size and position of your desktop. IE7 is a little bit incompatible with the old profile you may have had already. To fix it go Start >Run, type and enter regedit
    Go to this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\SafeMode\Components
    Change the value of DeskHtmlVersion to zero instead of decimal 272.
    "

Now I don't know if this makes a difference but I am running windows xp and IE8.

And I fixed that pop up by going to my security settings and actually typing in this into the restricted zone...

"http://ad.doubleclick.net http://m1.2md.net"

Why can't I fix both of these annoying things? Please if anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks so much:-o

9. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day DoeZ

seems to me you are having some issues with malware.as for this active desktop issue i using windows xp sp3 and have never seen this on my computer.i have search through everything i could find relating to desktop settings and have not found this utility. my suggestion to you is to follow the read and run me first guide " http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 ". this will help resolve what ever malware related issues you have.
    once your computer is clean you will be able to sort through any software related problems then.good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds