Problem with certificates

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Vista Home Premium - Outlook 2003 or 2007 - GMail - A friend is having a security certificate issue that appeared out of the blue. Whenever she opens Outlook, she gets the following message:
    She can bypass the error by clicking "Yes", and her emails are getting out OK, but this same issue is preventing her from doing her online banking and she cannot login to her BofA acct using Internet Explorer, but yesterday everything was fine, no certificate messages, online banking (and everything else) was OK, etc. I'm going over to her business shortly so I could really some use info about this ASAP. As a business owner, she really needs to have online access to her banking. When I get there, I'll probably set up Firefox just to see if it helps the situation, but since I know next to nothing about certificates, I have no idea if a different browser would make a difference.
    :confused

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, whatever, will be greatly appreciated!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

. . . . and why would this message about the certificate just start up now, for no apparent reason?

. . . . wait a second . . . I think she had recently installed Hamachi, could that have an impact on this?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

STRANGE. If I simply launch IE (which works fine) but go to www.gmail.com I get a full screen message "There is a problem with this website's security certificate". And there's a few options, but nothing helpful. How do I remedy this? I have gone to gmail on other PCs and it works fine so I know it's not a gmail problem, it's a problem with this laptop...

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- there is definitely something strange here... even if I try navigate to gmail.com by typing it into the IE address bar, I get a full screen error about the security certificate. I know it's not a gmail problem 'cuz I can access it OK on other PCs. Here's a screen shot attached...
    :cry :banghead
    HELP!

Attached Files:

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:-o I swear, I'm a big time stooge, a total idiot. rolleyes The date and time on the PC was wrong. Jeeeeez. I really feel stupid.

Problem stolved.

Duh.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Take heart dlb, at least you get all the credit for sorting it ;)

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You were also man enough to post the solution. No one can be aware of every single thing going on in a computer. I look at the clock but I rarely bother looking to see if the date is correct.
    My first guess would have been some malware redirection. :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds