Simple Firefox question

Discussion in 'Software' started by alanyuma, Aug 11, 2009.

1. alanyuma

alanyuma Private E-2

With Firefox 3.0.13, I used to be asked when I clicked on a link to a pdf file whether I wanted to open it or save it and I always answered "open it". Then one day I chose to download it and ever since then it won't ask me whether I want to open or save them, it just asks me where I want to save it.
    Where can I reset the preference to open or save?

2. tds777

tds777 Private E-2

Go to the top of your browser, click on the tools menu, down at the bottom of menu click on options, click at the upper left on Main, on that section you have option on how to handle downloads.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use a FF addon, which gives you several options when clicking on a pdf.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636
    the popup gives the choices to: download, open it, view as html, bypass download or cancel.
    If you scroll down the linked page to the Image Gallery and click on the 3rd picture, you can see what the popup looks like.

4. tds777

tds777 Private E-2

Sorry I don't use that, I let Firefox handle pdf. files it gives you the option to load, or load in new tab or window. Once it opens you can save it on your computer.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling that might let it work. If you have the latest version 3.5.2 of Firefox it may not work. I see that PDF Download by Nitro PDF Software has a support forum for that add on. The link is below maybe you might find a answer there. Did you ever let Firefox handle pdf. file ? I never had any problems.
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/forum/

5. tds777

tds777 Private E-2

Here's a link that might inform you that your not alone with this problem.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432

6. cosanostra0905

cosanostra0905 Private E-2

FF add on is great! Thanks tds777.
    Or you just let tie Firefox open the PDF, then click "file" on the top, then Ctrl+S to save the PDF to your local folder.

7. alanyuma

alanyuma Private E-2

Nah, tried that but it just gave me the choice of being asked where to save it or not being asked.
    I've downloaded the add on so just off to reboot and see what happens, back in 5.

Rebooted and no difference. he addon didn't appear either. I think I'll try to reinstall FF.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds