False positives from MBAM?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Aug 11, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I don't think this belongs in the malware forum 'cuz I'm not having issues removing the malware, it's going along fine, I just have some questions about possible false positives in MalwareBytes. My experience with MBAM has been great and rarely (if ever) get false positives, but take a look at the screen shot below and tell me if these are false positives, or if they are rogue entries....

(this is a scan run on Aug 11 at 5:40pm Pacific Time; MalwareBytes v1.40 and database 2605)

Attached Files:

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Looks legit enough, rolleyesC:\Program Files\Microsoft Commonrolleyes. Looks like you travel through some rough neighborhoods, dirt bags throwing rocks at your Windows.:-D
    Got Root ? Looking on the bright side, MBAM will run;).

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Luckily, it's not my PC LOL I just found it odd that MBAM hit on an IE file, a Firefox file, and possibly some Avast Antivirus files....

(BTW- I've seen "Got Root?" here and there on the web... WTF does "Got Root?" mean anyway?)

4. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I usually use Linux operating systems at home these days, do work on the side on other peoples Windows computers. Root is like a superuser or Administrator, and has rights on the PC no regular user does. Helps to keep out the bad elements. If you have a problem with an account other than root simply delete it, which hasn't happened in over 2 years of using the operating system. But you shouldn't surf the internet with the root account, or an Administrator Account using Windows, unless you take extra precautions. No defrag or antivirus needed either, although I run Avast on Linux from time to time (just a scan, no active protection) as I dual boot and share files with XP and 7.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- thanks for the "root" explanation ;)

So, can anyone shed some light on the files listed in the MBAM screen shot? Are they false positives (I think they are)? If so, they would be among the first I've seen from MBAM. I'm going to run a scan with Super Antispyware today and compare it with the MBAM results and see if SAS hits the same files....

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

They look just the type of files that may be added by malware - correct names but in the wrong folders. Upload them to virustotal.com, post links to each result back here.

7. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds