XP Annoyance: Folders not maintaining position!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Foodcubes, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Foodcubes

Foodcubes Private E-2

Hi guys, so here's a bit of an annoyance with Windows XP. If you look at the following image, when I go into the folder and open a file, and then go back, the folder automatically moves! This a big problem for me because I need the folders to maintain a logical position so I know how to find what I need. Has this been a problem for anyone else running XP? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

[​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/41392152@N04/3814349732/sizes/o/

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g,day Foodcubes

if you right click on the blank part of the window and select " arrange icons by ", make sure that name is ticked and auto arrange is ticked. see if that helps

3. Foodcubes

Foodcubes Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, iwunderdownunder. Unfortunately the autoarrange function forces all folders into the upper left corner, and doesn't let me control their position at all.

Maybe this is just an XP quirk, since it happens on every computer running XP that I know of. And the only place where folders seem to hold their position seems to be on the desktop. Kind of a shame that they missed this.

4. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Private E-2

Foodcubes, as iwunderdownunder said, right click on a blank space in the window and choose arrange icons by. This time untick Auto Arrange and Align to Grid.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you use a different View, Details for instance, the folders will always be in list form and in the same order. Gives more info too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds