wireless routers

Discussion in 'Software' started by twinmom1986, Aug 12, 2009.

1. twinmom1986

twinmom1986 Private E-2

I have a Linksys Wireless-G router---at once or twice maybe more times a day, when I sign in to my puter, I gt the message that i have no connection. I have called Linksys and they told me that my router was outdated and antiquated. I did tell them that they were fullk of chit and that I wouldnt buy a new router just to update my wireless connections. Anyone with any idea as to how I can keep my connection connected would be greatly appreciated. I have 3 kids besides myself who are in school and we need accessability to our laptops when we do homework.
    again thank you all for the help.

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Is this a wireless router that you have had for a while, which worked fine previously and which has now started exibiting this issue, or is this router new.

Have you recently changed your isp ie which coincided with problem.

In the first instance we need to be made aware of the following.

1. Is the router itself loosing sync with the exchange ie the adsl signal is dropping out.
    or
    2. The wireless clients ie laptops are not able to connect, which means that your issues is probably one relating to wireless connectivity.

Do you see what I mean.

Also what is the full model of the router

Good Luck

3. twinmom1986

twinmom1986 Private E-2

the message that I keep getting is limited or no connectivity
    my router is:
    linksys model#WRK54G
    2.4 GHz----802.11g

hopefully this will help you in assisting me with my problem
    the main puter is my hubby's desk and then we have 4 laptops which tie into the router
    I also have my router secured so that every tom,dick and harry cant try to tie on to the internet via my router.
    again ty for all your help

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

So the low/no connectivity issue relates to wireless clients ie laptops connecting wirelessly. Correct?

Question: Does this low/no connectivity affect all wireless clients ie laptops?

Wireless connections can be a bit of a 'black art' by that I mean that the wireless signal has to negotiate various obstacles to reach their destination.

Depending on where the wireless client is in relation to the wireless router this can amongst other things create the kind of problem you have.

Question: The laptop that says low/no connectivity how far is it from the wireless router. Try to describe the terrain.

Question: If you move the wireless laptop into the same room as the wireless router does this problem disappear.

Apologies for asking these questions but need to diagnose the problem in order to provide a solution.

Example. The aerial on router are generally small 5db [power] if you are in a large house with many walls between the laptop and the router, then the signal will be poor. There are many ways to overcome this.

Example. The software version which you are running on your Linksys [called firmware] may have know wireless dropout issues.

Good Luck

5. twinmom1986

twinmom1986 Private E-2

the router is in the computer room about 5 ft from the main computer--2 of the laptops are about 15 - 20 ft away in the living room and the twins laptops are upstairs around 40-50 ft away.
    not only do the laptops get the limited or no connectivity but the main puter gets the same message.
    when the router acts up all puters go down
    what i have to do is unplug the router and wait about aa min. or 2 and then plug it back in. this clears up the problem and then we are good to go till the next time.

6. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

The above is the SOP [standard operating proceedure] for wireless dropouts and in most cases that I have seen is symptomatic of shortfall in the wireless router's wifi capabilities ie the wireless on this router is flakey.

Added confirmation IMO of this is the fact that wireless clients close to the wireless router also suffer this fate.

Well I had a brief look at this router's stats and it appears to have a Marvell wireless chipset and that chipset can be temperamental. I try to avoid buying any wireless hardware with that chipset.

Solutions:
    1. Flash the wireless router's firmware to the last/latest version.
    2. Replace the router's aerial with a more powerfiul one. I rate this option with a very low probability of success.
    3. Obviously buy a new router....
    4. Buy some homeplugs, some can be wireless but this would be a more expensive option than 3.
    5. Buy a reliable and cheap wireless access point [wap] on ebay. By that I mean disable the wireless functionality of the WRK54G and buy a wireless router that you would only use as a wifi access point.

I have that kind of set up. My wireless router is a Speedtouch ST585v6. Great modem/router but has rubbish wireless. So I have a 'g' capable WAP which is a DG834Gv2 working only as wifi access point which is very solid with no wifi drops.

I cannot think of anything else to do but perhaps some other users will be able to offer alternative viewpoints.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds