Sonic Update Manager / umenu.msi Problem ...

Discussion in 'Software' started by xs_margie, Aug 12, 2009.

1. xs_margie

xs_margie Private E-2

Hello ~

I am having some trouble with a program on my computer. My computer came with a Lightscribe drive and Express Labeler for using the Lightscribe drive. I had no idea until just about an hour ago, that it is called "Sonic" Express Labeler. A couple of months ago I started getting this Sonic Update Manager screen and I had no idea what it was for. We thought it might be some spyware or something. I looked in my add/remove programs and found nothing that said Sonic Update Manager. My husband did a google search for it and found a website that told us how to remove it. So he followed the steps. Now, every time I restart my computer I get a Windows Installer screen. It goes thru the configure process and then it says ...

The feature you are trying to use is on a network that is unavailable.
    Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "UMENU.MSI" in the box below.

So then I click on OK and it of course doesn't work. I did a full search on my computer for the UMENU.MSI file and found nothing. I downloaded new software which included the Express Labeler called Sonic Record Now. I tried to launch the software, and get the frustrating message "Express Lebeler has encountered an problem and needs to close". Again I went into the the add/remove programs to see if I could find anything that said Sonic on it. This time I found the Sonic Update Manager listed two times ... version 2.9 and version 3.0. Both version have an option that says "Click here for support information", however the 2.9 version had a button that says "repair". So I clicked on that hoping it would fix the problem. But alas, nothing is ever that easy and all that it did was bring up the Windows Installer screen again. I have installed the Lightscribe Update and also the Lightscribe Diagnostics Utility, but of course since there is nothing wrong with my drive, that doesn't help anything. I did a google search for UMENU.MSI and the only results are for torrents. All I want to do is fix this problem.

:confusedCan anyone please tell me is there anyway to fix this issue? And if so, what steps I need to take in order to fix it? :confused

HP Pavilion a1648x
    Windows XP Service Pack 3 Media Center Edition

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance that can be offered.

Margie

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is the page for you Pavilion running XP
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3307446#
    if you scroll down, there is an 83 MB sonic app shown. Download that and see if it will install.
    If it doesn't, you may have a way to repair the programs that came on your computer. HPs used to come with disks and one of them had the installed programs. I'm not sure what the procedure is now. If you look through the manual, it might tell you how to repair the installed software.

3. xs_margie

xs_margie Private E-2

Thank you for the tip. The program installed, however, now when I get the Windows installer screen instead of it saying ...

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
    Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "UMENU.MSI" in the box below

NOW it says ...

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.
    Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "UM.MSI" in the box below.

So it is looking for UM.MSI instead of UMENU.MSI.

When we purchased this computer, it didn't come with any disks.

Again, I thank you for your help, but still no luck. :(

4. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day xs_margie

unmsi is for the update manager you could try using windows installer clean up utility get it from here " http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 " run the program then locate the offending program and delete it.
    good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds