Automatic Messaging - Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi! A friend of mine will be going away on vacation and is wondering if she can set up her e-mail program to do the following...

"... am I able to send an automatic message to people when I go away telling them I will return messages when I return?"
    Outlook Express
    ISP - Cogeco Cable

Thank You!
    :)

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi Oooops

There is no vacation message function in Outlook Express. Here's an article by microsoft on how to simulate it (the problem is that the computer has to be on the whole time and Outlook Express needs to be running):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/267880

Does Cogeco Cable have their own webmail? I did a quick look on the site and couldn't find any reference to it? Does your friend use another online email provider? That is usually what you want to use for Automated Away messages...generally in the Settings or Options of the email itself.

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Yes, Cogeco do have their own webmail... however, I don't believe she'll have acccess to a computer (camping).

I'll ask if she has another online e-mail provider and get back to you.
    Thank you!

4. LauraR

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  5. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

Automatically reply to incoming messages while out of the office

This should allow a personal reply...

Automatically reply to incoming messages while out of the office

Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.
    This feature requires Microsoft Exchange.

1. On the Tools menu, click Out of Office Assistant.
    2. Click I am currently Out of the Office.
    3. In the AutoReply only once to each sender with the following text box, type the message you want to send to others while you are out.

6. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

Troubleshoot the Out of Office Assistant This is an Exchange add-in feature that may have been disabled. You need to enable the menu command.

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. Click the Other tab, and then click Advanced Options.
    3. Click Add-In Manager. Select the option Exchange Extensions commands.

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Jewlzs... thanks so much for your help... but I don't see any of these within the Outlook Express menu?

8. LauraR

These refer to Outlook, not Outlook Express.

9. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Aaaahhhh!
    Yeah, I was asking about Outlook Express, I'm sure I mentioned that in my first post. Sorry.
    :)

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It's also in the title of the thread so you have no need to apologize, Oooops! .

11. LauraR

Zactly what plodr said! I would suggest people need to read other's details of their questions better before offering advice and wasting time.;)

Did your friend figure out anything?

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Why would she need access to webmail while away? The purpose of setting up an auto-reply would be to provide a response without having to access your email.

Will her email service allow automatic forwarding to another account? Perhaps she could have her email forwarded to a Gmail account. Since Gmail does allow Setting an automatic vacation response, that would be way to send automatice replies. The downside might be that the recipients of such automated responses may think she's changed her email to Gmail.

13. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

You've misunderstood my thread.
    LauraR asked me if my friend had access to webmail. The answer was no. My friend is going camping and won't be near a computer... which is the reason for this thread, my friend was wondering...
    "... am I able to send an automatic message to people when I go away telling them I will return messages when I return?"

Thanks for the suggestion about Gmail, however I'm asking about Outlook Express with her Cogeco Account.

14. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Right, I understand that. But, you can not do that with Outlook Express, and apparently Cogeco does not offer the feature. So, I was offering a work-around.

15. jewlzs

jewlzs Corporal

Outlook express:

Tools
    Message rules
    mail

allows you to enter a personal I am out of office or what ever...

16. LauraR

As already stated in post #2. Which does Not work unless the person's computer is left on with outlook express running.

17. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

OK, I stand corrected; I see how that can work. Of course, in addition to leaving the computer on and OE running as LauraR said, OE must be set to automatically check for messages at certain time intervals.

Post back if you want more detailed instructions on this.

18. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thank you for your help.

Switching e-mail addys would not be convenient for her at this time, also just to note, she won't be able to leave her computer on at home while she's away, with the other work-around as posted.
    Sorry for the confusion everyone, thanks to all for your help/suggestions, much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds