Guide to Drivers in Windows Seven

Discussion in 'Software' started by LI_Geek_95, Aug 13, 2009.

1. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Ok, I have recently installed the Windows 7 RC and have been having some trouble with drivers. I have been working to resolve these problems, and I thought I'd share what I did and where to get the drivers.

Step 1
    Determine the drivers you need. Figure out what is not working, weather it be your printer, audio, video, etc.

Step 2
    Figure out where you can get the drivers. I recommend getting the latest update for your device drivers on the Internet. Only get drivers from the manufacturers website or the CD. If the manufacturer does not have Seven drivers(which they most likely will not) download the Vista drivers. If the Vista drivers don't exist(which they should), download the XP drivers.

Step 3a - all devices
    Install using recommended settings.
    Open up the installer file. Click "Yes" if you get any warning dialog boxes. Usually, it will eventually say "Operating System Not Supported", and will abort. In a couple of seconds, a dialog box will pop up saying "This program might not have installed properly" There will be a big button that says "Install using reccomended settings" Click that button. It will then install again, and you can go through the Installer wizard. IF IT DOESN'T, right click the installer file, and click Troubleshoot Compatibility. After the wizard is done, open the file again.

If you are installing a USB device, go to step 3b, otherwise, go to step 4

Step 3b - usb only
    If your device is working at this point, go to step 4
    Disconnect the device. Reconnect it. Go to Start > Right click Computer and click Properties. Click Device Manager on the left side. Find the device and click Update Driver (a little picture of some sort of device with a green arrow pointing up on the toolbar) Click Search automatically for updated driver software. If you are still having trouble go to step 4

Step 4
    Reboot your computer. It is the best thing you can do at this point.
    Now, if your device won't work at this point, please post in the Drivers forum and you will be helped.

(could someone with the power to do so sticky this and remove this footnote? thanks)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds