Internet Explorer closing down problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by mathilda, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mathilda

mathilda Private First Class

I have had a problem for a couple of weeks now in that when trying to load a new web page I get the following message:-

Internet Explorer has stopped worked

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
    available.

Screenshot attached

I have done all the virus scans, nortons, adawares etc., that are available and although nothing abnormal was found I still got this message.

Out of sheer frustration I have formatted, and after a couple of days updating Microsoft updates and loading a few of the problems I need - avast, adobe, flashplayer etc., from the internet, and a couple I use and have the original disks for, I am still getting the same problem.

When I go to load a new webpage, this same message comes up and that automatically closes down webpages I have open. As I am a daytrader on the stockmarket I like to keep webpages open so I can see the up to date situations on various stocks, announcements, market depth, latest prices etc, not much to ask surely, plus say a couple of other pages, such as Bloomberg and BigCharts.com

I hope someone can help as I just do not know what to do.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mathilda

and loading a few of the problems I need

the word problems, should have read programs, sorry

3. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Private E-2

Hello mathilda,

Have you installed any new Add-ons/plugins before this problem started?

4. mathilda

Thank you for getting back to me - First I have not added any add-ons, just downloaded the normal starting up programs.

Second -

Operating System version and Service Pack number - Vista Ultimate with service pack 1

Internet Explorer 8 - I have no other browsing programs on at this stage, although I did have Mozilla before I formatted. I haven't got round to putting it on yet, but the problem is there now.

Since contacting you yesterday I have added Skype and Messenger.

Hope this helps, and look forward to your reply.
    Thanks

5. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Private E-2

Mathilda, please try running IE without Add-ons:

Click start -> type "internet explorer no addons" (without quotes) and click the first result.

Or click start -> all programs -> accessories -> Internet explorer (no Add-ons)

6. mathilda

OK I have downloaded and installed Firefox, as is, no add ons nothing. What next please.

Regarding IE no add-ons

I get this message
    Internet Explorer is currently running without add-ons

All Internet Explorer add-ons, such as ActiveX controls or toolbars, are turned off. Some webpages might not display correctly.
    To continue to your home page, click the Home button.
    To browse using add-ons, close Internet Explorer and then start it again.
    Check for the latest Windows updates.

How do browser add-ons affect my browsing experience?

What do you mean by click on the first result

Thanks

7. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Private E-2

I meant when you type a search query into the start menu, sometimes several results come up, I just wanted you to click the first result. ;)

8. mathilda

Hi

re Mozilla/Firefox I have been opening and closing all the sites I normally use in IE, and have not had the closing down problem.

Regarding the Add-ons, the first item is Internet Explorer(No Add-ons), and when I click on that it takes me to the page that I posted in my previous post above.

Thanks

9. mathilda

Sometimes I can get a site up without the problem, then occasionally, as has just happened when I tried to look at MajorGeeks (this page) following the email notification, it closed down the whole site and another one I was looking at (the previous one I opened) so I realy lost two sites.

Hope this explains it OK

10. mathilda

DomLuc - I have switched off "Tabs" as I find them a pain in the "****" causing me to close down sites I wish to keep open.

I always go to a new home page to open a new site, so that it starts fresh so to speak. No old data remaining.

I always set my Internet Options to empty all temp files and history when I close down after reinstalling my Recovery Disk.

This problem has only happened say in the last few weeks, probably since mid July, and the Data Protection thing that appeared a couple of hours ago has shown itself a few times before, but because I was in a hurry to do use certain sites I just let it happen. Today though, being the weekend when I should be enjoying myself on the beach, I am stuck in front of a computer or two trying to solve this problem, I have seen this problem and hence my contact with you, for which I am extremely grateful.

Again I look forward to your next post.

THanks

11. pistol

pistol Private First Class

Did you try to reset the IE back to it;s default settings after you were experiencing these issues? if not,try to reset it to it's default settings by Opening "internet properties"/advanced/reset internet explorer settings/click reset,apply ,ok,/then restart IE

12. mathilda

Yes, everything back to default on IE options.

I do all important updates, or recommened ones as and when requested, but not the optional ones as they usuallly involve other langugages, etc. Service Pack 2 has not appeared yet, even if going through the Microsoft web pages. Perhaps this is because I am in Australia! There have been many updates since I reinstalled 3 or 4 days ago and am still waiting for new ones I know.

13. mathilda

Thanks - yes SP2 is available and it was waiting for me in my Updates this morning and is being installed as I write. (I am on a different computer to write this)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds