Building my own OS?

Discussion in 'Software' started by LI_Geek_95, Aug 14, 2009.

1. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Ok. My goal is to write my own OS, on it's own platform. I don't want a *nix build, I want one thats entirely my own. One that has its own application engine and everything.

Step 1:
    where do I start?

2. Wow. Big goal.

Start with making plans on how its going to work? a design structure before you start wanting to build?

3. LI_Geek_95

Hmm... can you please define "design structure" for me =/

And is it possible to do this in C#?

4. Well do you want it to load a sort of explorer.exe from here you navigate or just basic to the point where it loads and your faced with options on what to do etc.

I dont think it can be done in C# as that relies on .NET Framework doesnt it?

5. LI_Geek_95

6. Good link.

7. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

I'd say that's a pretty impossible task unless you have a fairly in-depth knowledge of how as OS works (do you?).
    But, that's not to say it is completely impossible. LoseThos is an OS written by just one guy, completely from scratch. I image that guy is a genius and has a whole lot of spare time (over at GameDev forums, he mentioned that he has spent about 5 years on it), but if you are determined to write an OS, even the very most basic of OSes, i'm sure you could do it :)

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

lol. where do you start? take a lot of programming classes.

but if youre serious... http://www.menuetos.net/
    guy wrote an OS entirely in assembly. it actually runs quake according to the article in /.

you have a big goal there guy. its not something youre going to be able to do tomorrow, but if you actually stick with that goal i think youll be able to accomplish something.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds