Mysterious Sound Issue :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by meatwadsprite, Aug 14, 2009.

1. meatwadsprite

meatwadsprite Private E-2

I've been having sound issues with my computer for awhile , but recently they've just gotten worse. All the sound on my computer would shut down (no audio devices) after about 5 or 6 hours of having it on and I would have to restart for it work again.

Then out of the blue , no audio devices would work ever ... so I reinstall the HD Realtek Audio driver and my usb headphones work , but not my speakers/audio mixer. The speakers themselves work fine , but there is some strange software issue on my computer. Even if I didn't have my speakers plugged in , I was always able to use the mixer to record sounds straight from the computer.

So I completely took off all the HD Audio drivers and High Definition Audio packages and reinstalled them - multiple times , using different versions of the sound driver. Right now I have the most recent one installed and according to device manager it IS working - but if HD Realtek Audio is in fact working shouldn't I be able to select as an audio device ?

Other things I have tried which didn't work

1. Using system restore - I can't even use this feature for whatever reason , whenever I try to do it "the computer was unable to restore to that date".

2. Finding source of the error with event viewer - there are no errors that coincide with the sound problem

--------------------

My headphones and microphone work perfectly fine , so it's not a sound card issue - but my mixer and rear input audio speakers are out and I really do need them for a lot of things. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As the log you produced is one of the limited ones, what service pack is your XP at? if not at SP3 then update to SP2 at least and install the UAA drivers then re-install the audio from Gateway linked towards the bottom of my post, if that doesnt work then try the below.

Also do you have any yellow ! marks in device manager? if so by what?

Have you scanned for malware or had malware of late?

Check the Windows Audio Service in Services to see if its Started and set to Automatic.

Would also uninstall the Audio drivers you have installed now, and then run CCleaner to clean up temps and registry, then download the Chipset and Audio drivers from Gateway here for the 504gr and install the Chipset first then reboot and install the Audio.

3. meatwadsprite

meatwadsprite Private E-2

I love you. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds