need help with website

Discussion in 'Software' started by whiterican74, Aug 23, 2009.

1. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

I have been trying to create a family based website/// that is our family /// that would allow the download of various files including iso images and the like. I have used MSPUB. to create it and have been having issues trying to get hyperlinks or any links for that matter to work.

For instance I have been trying to get an iso file that I want my family to have access to but I cannot get it to work through the native hyperlink or a href code that I have found thus far. would you have any suggestions? If so please advise.

Xampp user/apache/msql/filezilla.

new to website pub so please be gentle.

white

ooh the server works I just cannot get the downloadables right.

2. w3d

w3d Private E-2

Presumably you are linking to your file something like:

Code:
    <a href="mydiskimage.iso">Download ISO file</a>
    What actually happens? Does it find the file OK?

Instead of simply clicking on the link (with the left mouse button), have you tried clicking with the right mouse button and selecting "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..." (depending on your browser)? This should be more reliable.

You could also try creating a .zip of your ISO file, and download/link to that instead.

If you require further control over the download you'll need to use a bit of server-side coding (PHP?) to control the response headers that are sent back to the browser. ie. To always force a download.

3. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply;

I haven't tried the zip file thing yet.. I like the idea of working directly with the files themselves however If the above,,, code does not work (since I put it in the main directory to try to avoid any extra steps on my families behalf) I will reconsider the zip.

Better still I would like to learn the language a bit better especially .php. I quite green under the ears at 35 trying to learn this.

Thanks again,

White

4. w3d

w3d Private E-2

Linking directly to ISO files should be OK, in order to allow the user to download the file. The reason for creating a .zip (archive) of the file is that it is an unknown file format as far as the webserver is concerned and should therefore always prompt the user to download/save the file (but so should an ISO file) - since it doesn't know what to do with it.

Wherever the file is located on the webserver should not effect the steps taken to download the file. eg.

Code:
    <a href="mydiskimage.iso">Download ISO file</a>
    and

Code:
    <a href="/folder/subfolder/subsubfolder/mydiskimage.iso">Download ISO file</a>
    ...are the same as far as the end user is concerned. The end user will get prompted to save the file, regardless of where it is actually stored on the webserver.

To be honest, this sounds as if you might be using the wrong path in your link (value of the href attribute). Does something like the following work...?

Code:
    <a href="http://www.google.com">Google</a>

5. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

I think this did have something to do with it. so far it works in the main direct. we will see about the sub folders...

It worked with something like
    Code:
    <ahref="http://www.somesite.com/file.whatever</a>

Thanks for the help...

White

6. w3d

w3d Private E-2

This will not work as you have it, it would need to be arranged something like:
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.somesite.com/file"[COLOR="Red"]>[/COLOR]whatever</a>
    There must be a SPACE after the initial <a and the value of the href attribute must be surrounded by double quotes ie. href="something"

Hope that helps.

7. whiterican74

whiterican74 Private E-2

thanks to all who posted. I finally got it to work. a while back.
    Between running a carpentry business and trying to learn and develop a website for it and my fiancee I haven't been back to check the forum out.

White

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds