downloads not completing

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheena, Sep 5, 2009.

1. sheena

sheena Corporal

Hi computer literates.:
    I am an illiterate, so you need to bring it down to simple terms; thanks. I have had trouble with my downloads when using ie, and am still having problems with Firefox, which I like much better now that I am used to it not being identical to ie. I am running xp prof, ser pack 2. Firefox urged me to download some update from it, I complied, the download failed, and I got this message: "firefox could not install updates. Slipstream sp integrator may have failed because of invalid file hash. 261". This may as well have been written in cobol for all i understood of it. Do I need to download something to help me download? I am running alot on alittle memory. What do you suggest? I couldn't download java things either, and online they said one kind of java was safer than another, I just tried to download a java thing, and it failed. What is the safe kind, how to download it?
    Thanks alot. Sheena :confused

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi sheena, have you installed any add-ons in firefox?

3. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day sheena

i have read through the list of your problems and i am not sure what you mean by a lot on a little memory.whether this is ram or hard drive memory that is available so i will try and help you out as much as possible.
    it appears that you may have slip streamed service pack 2 onto your copy of xp pro and there seems to be some kind of error when the this was done.
    ok first things first would be to perform a error check and see if this fixes any problems with your windows system files. to perform this go to start click on run then type cmd press enter.at the command prompt type chkdskc:/r press enter you will be prompted

" Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

press y then press enter and then restart your computer and let the scan do its thing post back when this is complete and we will help you sort through the rest.good luck

4. sheena

sheena Corporal

Thanks for the input. My error checks always come up clean. Thanks for the run command to do that, it is quicker. I right click on my hard disk and go in thru tools to do that.
    Sheena

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds