Wanting to upgrade processor speed...not sure what I'm getting into...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjollnir, Oct 1, 2009.

1. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

Hello all,

I am thinking on upgrading my processor speed. The reason is, I cannot edit AVCHD vids in Studio12. I can edit the 1440 but not the 1920 HD...its all jittery. I have talked to a tech from Pinnacle and he said its my processor.

I have an AMD Phenom 8450 Tri-core 2.10.

I scanned the motherboard and got:

Gateway RS780
    Chipset AMD 780G
    Southbridge ATI SB700
    LPCIC ITE IT8718

I have upgraded things before like a vid card, and added ram...nothing major. I was just wondering how much more involved upgrading the processor speed is. And if I can even do it with what I have? Also, any compatibility issues?

The tech said I need at least an Intel® Core™2 Quad 2.66 GHz or higher required for 1920x1080 AVCHD editing.

Any ideas, or any links I may have missed on the subject?

Thanks for your time!

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If you want to upgrade to a Intel quad core you can't do that on a AMD Socket. You may want to look into upgrading to a AMD quad core.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Your chipset and socket acommodates AM2+ Phenom CPUs, at 95 watts.

In that case, you can go with an Phenom X4, and depending on your budget, the Phenom II 940 is a VERY nice CPU, except that it draws 125 watts.

The chipset should accomodate it, just doublecheck with Gateway in regard to the BIOS, should it need an update.

They may not be entirely helpful, and you may want to go for the gusto, and replace that Foxconn motherboard.

Also, I must stress that you need an AM2+, not an AM3. The AM3 WILL be damaged beyond repair, should it be installed in the wrong socket.

It's all in your hands...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  5. mjollnir

mjollnir Private E-2

Thanks all for your input....it's very helpful!

I was just putting in the intel info because thats what the tech said I needed in terms of speed, so I was gonna get a comparable AMD processor.

So if I upgraded and the processor uses more watts...then I just need to upgrade my power supply? Correct?

I just want to make sure I am covering the bases.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds