Easily Create Message Rules With Windows Live Mail

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

The new Windows Live Mail takes some getting used to for previous Outlook Express users. It took me a bit to find my beloved Message Rules, so I decided to share it with anyone else looking for it.

Update: The latest version of Windows Live Mail now has it under "Folders" "Message Rules". VERY simple. Don't see it? Go to Windows Update and make sure you are up to date. See 1st screenshot below

Why message rules? It is a simple way to manage incoming email, for example spam or emails from a trusted friend or colleague. Spam your mail filter does not catch can be managed by applying rules. Message rules are often overlooked and one of my favorite security features of Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail saving me from hundreds of spam emails a day.

1: Choose from the set of pre-defined conditions that you want to modify. You can then specify the condition and the action you want to take. It is really very simple; for example you can choose a specific word in the title or body, then tell it to move it, mark it as read, delete it and more (See second and third screenshots)

2: Choose the action (delete, move, copy, forward, do not download)

Optionally:

3: Choose a name (if you have multiple rules you can easily modify it later under the description tag)

That's it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. treycole

treycole Private E-2

Ok,I see how to make rules but it says rules only apply to POP accounts not http live hotmail, and if i click on new rules logged in to hotmail web sight nothing happens. any one know about this? I dont know if it matters but im using live 2009 best i can get with xp.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, what is there to say? As you've observed by viewing a screen in Windows Live Mail, message rules cannot be created for HTTP-type, i.e. Hotmail, accounts. That's the reality you'll have to accept with Hotmail.

4. Tetsugyu

Tetsugyu Private E-2

I was wondering if you guys can help me out. I read Major Attitude's post on how to filter the spam I get. I Admin a couple of small forums and I am bombarded with emails "New user account" every day from the spambots trying to make accounts. My host has set it up so that all accounts not authenticated by the Admin are deleted (since my forums are small, this isn't a problem).

So I did everything listed in Major Attitude's post and I set the rule to subject line "New user account" and I've tried both delete and delete from server and absolutely nothing happens. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the emails are sent from the addresses of the email accounts themselves. Any ideas? I appreciate the help. Thank you.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

That should work. I also am an admin on a small forum and get those annoying spambot registration attempts. I have a Message Rule set to send them to a certain folder. To do this, I set the Rule based on the Subject line (where it equals 'Activate user account'), and it works. As a test, I also just created a rule to delete messages with "test" in the subject line and then sent a message to myself with "test" as the subject. The rule worked; the message went directly to the Deleted items folder.

So, I think you need to do some further testing and experimenting to resolve this. Do a test like I did, or try creating a Rule for some other sender, using Subject line for the rule's condition and see whether you can get it to work? Also, can you post a screen shot of your Edit Mail Rule screen so that we can see it?

6. Tetsugyu

Tetsugyu Private E-2

Thanks for the response. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Here's a screen shot.

[​IMG]

The emails have "New user account" in the subject lines. I am so lost.

7. reble

reble Private E-2

I have tryed the normal way of making a mail rule. And having a problem with windows live mail. I click the subj line containing
    the word then I click on move to move it to a new dir but the window shows outbox then storage folders. but not showing the sub folders i already made under each of the 3 emails I have.

Steve

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you see the note on the screenshot above your post?
    Unless you are downloading email, you can not do this.

9. reble

reble Private E-2

I am downloading the emails 2 my laptop. The message rule just won't let me make the dir were I want to on my laptop

10. Major Attitude

Create the directory yourself.

11. suresh_gen

suresh_gen Private E-2

Thank u for Ur Guide

12. BJHALLGRAV

BJHALLGRAV Private E-2

Thank you for your post Major Attitude. I really dislike MS hard to find 'shortcuts' on Office or WLM & could Not find the Message Rules anywhere! So thx again for removing a little frustration from my computering.
    Barb
    :)

13. Powerman99z

Powerman99z Private E-2

Now that all of these wonderful rules have been created, how are they (the rules) sorted alphabetically. I have almost a hundred rules and whenever I create a new rule, I have to move it from the bottom of the list of rules to where ever it fits in alphabetically. This is a waste of time and should not be necessary. It should be done automatically and the Live Mail team should correct this problem. Or is there a fix already?

14. Major Attitude

I wish. No one fixes anything. Even in the latest Thunderbird I need to add spam words. I click the same things over and over again. This applies to many mail programs and their crapay spam algorithms.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds