AAARGH! Corrupt Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aphelion5, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

I can't load windows because I'm missing this file called NTLDR. From what I can guess, It's probably something to do with loading networks or something critical. Can you help me fix this, or do I need to get a new harddisk?

P.S. I liked that hard disk. It was 110gb - a lot for a Satellite Pro Laptop.

If you need specs, please reply.

EDIT:

WAIT!!! I've just found the thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=202238&highlight=ntldr but the instructions don't match. For one, I'm not prompted for a logon, and I can't copy the file - I've tried repartitioning my harddisk, but it just can't 'find' it. :cry

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I would try and XP ASR Automated System Recovery.

3. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Not sure what OS you are trying to load, XP? Cant't tell you what the File is for but it appears to be NT Loader. Have had same thing many times. It's not the Hard Drive. I have always been able to get it to go by makeing a file, NTLDR, with nothing in it in the root of the hard drive. I boot up to DOS with a boot disk and use COPY CONSOL NTLDR, enter, F6, enter. Check a DOS ref for the COPY CONSOL or use your own favorite editor.
    Good Luck, Jim

4. SWario

SWario Sergeant

You mean you can't boot into the Windows CD? You need to set your computer to boot from the CD before the Hard Disk. This is done in the Setup page which is usually accessed by pressing the F2 key during bootup.

5. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

That's the thing - I can access my BIOS all-right, and change the boot order to the CD. That's perfectly fine. The fungus:fart part is that when I try to repair, it cant "find" the hard-drive partition - as far as the recovery console is concerned, it was never there :cry.
    I have tried to completely reinstall it, but it cant even detect anything for me to install onto. It is seriously fungussed up.

6. SWario

SWario Sergeant

Err... How can it not find the hard drive partition if you get an "NTLDR is missing" message? Are you actually getting this message?

7. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

I am... When I have time, I'll show you in a video... When I start up, it shows the toshiba welcome screen, then it loads for a while, before showing ...NTLDR is Missing - Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart.
    I try to repair it in the recovery console, but I can't copy the files because it can't find the root drive, apparently. I can't reinstall it, because it cant find the disk it's supposed to install to. When I connect an external harddrive, it shows up as a partition, but no internal disk.

8. SWario

SWario Sergeant

I'm just confused how the computer can see the Windows Installation (it gives you an "NTLDR is missing" error) but the Windows CD cannot. :confused

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Me too!

When you try to enter recovery console(Press "R" for repair) what exactly happens? Do you get as far as a prompt? What does the prompt look like?

11. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

It's ok, don't panic. We took it to a technician, and he said it was probably a broken link to the OS or something. It's fixed. Sorry you're all confused.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds