Firefox Freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by misterbojangles, Nov 11, 2009.

1. misterbojangles

misterbojangles Private E-2

Firefox has recently stopped clicking through links. I can work away then suddenly links won't load. I've been throught the Read & Run First steps (logs saved) and I thought this had cured the problem, but Firefox did it again just now. The only solution is to close down Firefox and start over - refresh won't work either.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, misterbojangles...

Which version?

You might try disabling/uninstalling any add-ons - some of the older ones don't work correctly if you've recently updated Firefox...

Also, have you tried accessing similar sites with IE as a troubleshooting procedure?

3. misterbojangles

Thanks, Cal.
    I have indeed recently updated Firefox to new version - just last week I think.
    I'm off to try out disabling some Add-ons and I'll have a go at comparing to IE7.

Edit : Firefox Ver 3.5.5 apparently

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Yeah, try that - I've read in some other forums about various problems with 3.5.5, especially with graphics...

Good luck!

5. misterbojangles

No success.

IE7 is OK.

Firefox stops working a random
    - links don't click through,
    - progress bar flashes up for a second
    - shutting down Firefox and re-starting gives blank pages for my Homepage tabs all called 'Untitled'
    - Firefox will eventually come back after a few minutes rest, but page content will not load and is very sparse, i.e., text only

6. misterbojangles

Now I'm getting connection problems with IE7

7. misterbojangles

I haven't solved my Firefox problem. Any ideas?

8. cake

cake Corporal

what AV/FW/security suite are you using?

9. misterbojangles

ZoneAlarm & AVG

I've lost all sound aswell.

10. cake

cake Corporal

sort of "sounds" like you might be under XP, but you didn't state.

you may need updated drivers for the sound, or check to make sure your volume isn't muted, speakers off or earbuds/headphones plugged in (this happened today; my son plugged in my earbuds last night & i didn't notice right away).

i know i had some issues with ZoneAlarm Extreme while i was under trial to decide which i wanted. i ended up going with KIS 2010 which ended up also having some major system/browser slowdowns & freezes. that was fixed with a critical update and i have no problems, now. Kaspersky forums were an immense help.

if i'm not mistaken, AVG is a free anti-virus, correct? and your ZoneAlarm is your firewall? please note that you CAN'T have more than one anti-virus and/or firewall running because they'll interfere with each other. check to see that you don't ALSO have Windows Firewall running, in addition...or Windows Defender if you're under something other than XP. if yours are recent installs, you may have "leftovers" from others (i know for a fact you need a separate remover from McAfee or Norton to get rid of everything; there ARE others)

some anti-malware programs may interfere with each other and/or interfere with specific AV or FW programs, too.

you may need to set specific permissions for your firewall and/or anti-virus.

IMHO, if you're under XP, you really should be on SP3 and IE8 (you don't need all the Searchlight/Live stuff). if you've had problems installing either, or questions before you install, post back. note: you CAN'T install SP3 if you have a different bootscreen than what came with your system. also, i found it best to start at IE6, get all the hotfixes, install IE7, get those hotfixes, THEN install IE8.

i have "automatic updates" turned off ("just tell me" is just as good) and get my updates, REGULARLY, via IE (you can't through Firefox). i only do the Windows critical, security & update ones all at once. i do anything else (IE, SP, etc.) separately and individually. i do NOT get anything that doesn't apply/i don't use (like Office since i have Kingsoft Office instead of MS products). you can "hide" those updates so you don't get "notified" again. AND you can hide that Windows tray icon as long as you check for updates on a regular basis.

if you're under Vista or 7, i don't have them so can't give you specific info about those, and i've just wasted your valuable time & forum space.LOL

these are just some of the things i've experienced under my XP. others will need your specific OS + specs, AV/FW (which is which & what versions), any anti-malware programs (like Spybot, MBAM, etc.).

11. misterbojangles

OK, I've been away a few days and haven't responded to your post.

I am on XP SP3.

AVG is my AV and it is my only one.
    Zonealarm is my FW and it is my only one (Windows Firewall is disabled.)

I've recently uninstalled, downloaded and re-installed both AVG and Zonealarm. Programm access is set OK for Firefox on Zonealarm.

The events I canm think of that may be significant are :

1. Updated Firefox to 3.5.5
    2. Ran the Majorgeeks 'Read and Run Me First' steps

Firefox still hangs at random after short browsing. IE7 appears to freeze also. I can't imagine they both have separate problems that cause them to hang or freeze. They both work fine then suddenly Firefox will not click through links, and if I shut-down then re-start I get 'Unidentified Page' on the tab and nothing on the page.

12. misterbojangles

Excellent,thank you, DomLuc.
    I'm now fairly certain it is a Malware problem as I'm having connection problems with Firefox and IE7

13. misterbojangles

It's been a while as I've been very busy with work and family.
    Anyway, i posted on the Malware thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=203612 and Chaslang said it is not a Malware problem.

He recommended I disable all Firefox Add-ins and remove AVG9. I was reluctant to remove AVG, and worked on the add-ins instead which had some help - Firefox was still freezing or hanging, but it would come round eventually without having to be shut-down and re-started.

I've finally removed AVG9 and instantly browsing on Firefox was much sharper. I've installed Commodo Antivirus, nad I'll monitor progress, but it seems to be good so far.

Thanks for all the help.

14. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

You have to remember that firefox and internet explorer are two separate browsers and websites not only may look different in both of them, but function differently as well. On a first glance at your problem, it would seem like the problem is caused by fire fox. However, it sounds like it might be more of a computer problem. I am working on the latest version of fire fox as we speak and I am not having any troubles.

Have any other programs been messing up on your computer? When is the last time you have done a virus scan, disk defragmentation, or tune up? Is your hardware up to date. Also, a common problem that may cause this is the ad-dons and plug-ins that you may have installed in your browser. Have you tried disabling all of these plug-ins and additions and doing the same task?

If your browser is performing differently after disabling or enabling ad-dons, then that the problem more then likely. You should also install CCleaner and see if that helps.

15. misterbojangles

Thanks, Semenoff.
    I went through all the 'Read and Run Me First' steps including the defrag, etc.
    I was only posting again because I seem to have fixed the problem. My system was overburdened with AVG9 so I've swapped to Comodo as recommended and now all is cool.

Thread closed.

16. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

To be honest I am not a big fan of firefox myself as it hogs resources, I have switched to opera 10.10 which is a good browser and very fast since the switch I havn't looked back at firefox.

2 browsers I got is Opera 10.10 for browsing and IE8 for microsoft updates.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds