AMD 2100+ CPU Temp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kman, Aug 20, 2003.

1. kman

kman Private First Class

What is an average temp for the AMD 2100+ idle and under load? At what temp will it cause meltdown?:D

2. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

it'll break at 85*C

3. kman

kman Private First Class

Thanks.:D

4. Raider

Raider Private First Class

Just upgraded to a 2500 Barton from one of those. I averaged 36 C idle and 42 C really pushing it. I have a Cooler Master Heat Pipe and a Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

5. kman

kman Private First Class

With my fans turned to their lowest setting, ahhh the quiet, my temps are:

CPU:

idle 46C
    load 51C

Case:

idle 31C
    load 33C

How do these temps average? I am not using Artic Silver 3, I just have some thermal paste from radioshack. Would the Artic Silver reduce the cpu temps at all or is it a marketing tool?:cool:

6. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I used that Radio Shack stuff at one point & yes the Artic Silver will reduce the temps. It did for me. I don't have actual numbers, but there was a definate difference.

7. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

AS3 reduced my temps with 6*C.

(from idling at 48*C to 42*C)

8. xopt1js

xopt1js Private E-2

AS3 reduced my temps 10 degrees on my 1700.:D

9. kilowatt

kilowatt Private E-2

I read a review of the different types of thermal paste and in the test there was no difference in any of the paste using the same heatsink and CPU. The author was very surprised that there was no difference as was I. Don't remember where I saw this though.

10. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

I have used AMD, Coolmaster premium ans AS3

AMD approx 55C
    Coolmaster 55C
    AS3 54C

So for £15 of paste investment I got 1C reduction

For £7 investment in 120mm fan I got 5C reduction

Opening the case for free gets me 5C reduction

Im begining to believe that the only way to go with these new processors is water cooling - thats next months bonus for me :D

11. mudshot

mudshot Private First Class

I knew it

put in the 9800pro and the temps back up to 58C

Mind you whilst i have been fiddling and putting in new led fans it seems a shame to keep them hidden

WATCH THIS SPACE

12. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

My Athlon 2000+ idles at between 39 to 41 C.
    I just have the heat sink (with patch, not paste) that came with the cpu.

13. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

XP 2400+ sitting idle at 38c right now. Since I redone the paste 2 days ago, I have not seen it above 44c ever. This is with the the tired ol' Gateway case all together.

14. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

My 2000+ runs at around 38-46 Deg Depending on the load its being put under
    Its running at 2100+ but Anything under 55Deg should be ok for running its stable

If it is any higher then that get a descent heatsink that will do a good job :)

15. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

2000+ @ 1,8Ghz atm

running on a ThermalRight SLK900U hsf with 80mm Papst fan on it, 2 120mm case fans, idle temp = 32*C, full load = 35*C to 36*C.
    case temps I've never seen go past 31*C.

16. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

Did i mention i live in a volcano?
    :)
    well not really but that'd be er not cool
    Im still using the standard heatsink that mine came with..
    I had a volcano 7+ on there at one stage but decided it wasn't needed so i have put it on my duron
    :)

17. aceadrian1

aceadrian1 Private E-2

Vantec Aeroflow on a Palomino 1600+ @ 1.659GHz

Idling around 35C, peaking @ max 41C. Mobo temp from 19C to 21C - never over 21C.

18. SgtRedneck

SgtRedneck Private E-2

Id like to have a machine that runs at -196 degrees
    but I don't have enough money to pay for the liquid nitrogen :)

19. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

hot

I got a athlon 2400 and the thermal pad that came with the stock heatsink was removed and used as3. The temps at new were 47c and now down to 42c, read that the temps get better with time, and seem for me to be true. Got a 1800 athlon I built for my mother and it runs at 56c with thermal pad. Too high I think although I read it is in the "normal" operating temps. I think I well jerk the cpu and use as3........

20. item.man

item.man Private E-2

stock heatsinks are crap, i hae one and im trying to get it the hell outta my computer (p.s. liquid nitrogen may be around -400C but its not humanly possibble to measure temperatures this low)

21. trailmaster

trailmaster Private E-2

temperature of liq. N

http://www.temperatures.com/cryogenics.html
    ok heres a link to a company that makes temp measuring devices....youll notice temp of liquid nitrogen is -196C...not 400...
    and id say that anything that has been measured CAN be measured,...if not then how did they obtain a value..?..hehheh

22. Edison Frisk

Edison Frisk Private E-2

hey I run an amd 2800+ Barton chip and it runs at the moment - 55 C I have an akasa cooler fan on and with a xaserIII case with 4 fans going it seems to be stable enough, I guess i could do with a better cpu fan but as I don't wanna overclock there really is little point, it sits idle at 50 C. Just so you know :) If this is a bag o shite then please let me know.:)

23. jafische

jafische Private E-2

I have a XP2100. It has a
    System Temp=34C
    CPU Surf Temp=40
    CPU Core Temp=49 increasing to 54C in 2 minutes of idle time when in CMOS monitoring.

Fan Speed on the HeatSink/CPU is 3970
    Fan Speed on the open air system is 6000ish.

PROBLEM:
    I can not get XP Home to start it keeps coming up with Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking.... Start WIndows Normally.

Either way I do it is will only get to the XP splash screen and reboot to the Mode screens.

I think that it may be overheating. WHat causes this... Overheating.

THen why is it starting to overheat now? Is the CPU fan running too slow? Is the CPU going bad? Did the sink paste melt out?

Thanks.
    Jeff

24. Irock Computers

Irock Computers Private E-2

I have a 2100+ Athlon Oced to 2200, w/ a TT Volcano 11 Hs/fan. Temps are stable at 43C on the CPU fan is at 3245RPM. The TT helped a lot. I think one day my goal is to get it up to say 2500, now all i need is liquid cooling.

25. trailmaster

trailmaster Private E-2

on the issue of heat paste melting out....there should only be eniough to fill the micro voids of the surface....if theres too much you wont get good heat transfer....kinda like using straight antifreeze instead of a mix in your car....50/50 glycol/water has a lower temperature range...also unless youre in a really dirty environment just run with the side of the case off...i notice at least a 5-8 degF difference.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds