Mindboggling GFX driver install issue [Blackscreen/Freeze]

Discussion in 'Software' started by demode, Dec 6, 2009.

1. demode

demode Private E-2

Hey guys!

I was tipsed by a friend to use TrueCrypt to encrypt my entire disks and I was thinking hey good idea. Said and done I installed and rebooted and on windows loading screen ofcourse it gets stuck.

I went to recovery console tried fixboot fixmbr chkdsk /p etc nothing helped so now I'm on a fresh install of XP

all is fine until i install video drivers the driver install goes to a black screen with a blinking "_" in it.. So I'm dling vista now see if I can do it on vista. Sometimes I've finished up the driver installation (but it didnt seem proper) then i reboot and it freezes in windows loading.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this issue?

Going to try vista soon.. This really has brought my spirits down big time.

I'm using an Asus 9800GX2 :cry

2. demode

demode Private E-2

Hello again! I've tried Windows Vista now but after installing drivers and reboot the monitor went black on boot. :cry

3. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

can you confirm the monitor works on another computer?

4. demode

demode Private E-2

The monitor is working fine right now and it worked fine before format. Doesn't matter if I use my TV as monitor or this one. Same problem.

information:

Asus P5K Premium Wifi/AP
    Intel Core Duo E8400
    Asus Extreme 9800GX2
    Soundblaster X-Fi Music
    Corsair 1000W dont know modellnr

At the moment I'm on vista 64-bits and it didn't work here either!

5. demode

demode Private E-2

Okay solved it! (tricky)

Thanks for all the support you've given me anyways. Here's what I did in case someone else gets the problem.

Formatted all drives which had OS traces on them (propably optional)

Installed winxp sp3

Installed chipset drivers from CD that came along with the MB

Installed nvidia driver from ASUS (got a blackscreen with blinking _ in it again)

Reset computer, got back into windows pulled device manager up and uninstalled the video driver.

Selected the VGA device instead, and told it to update drivers where it found the 9800gx2 drivers on the computer and installed them (got blackscreen with blinking _ for 2 secs) and voilá! didn't even have to reboot.

I was so happy I jumped in the air propably 2 meters high and made a victoryscream 0:30 AM =)

BUT! now i rebooted and after reboot i get apopup saying new hardware found nvidia 9800gx2 and in about 2 secs the monitor turns black!

I was disappointed again but I didnt give up... So I went into safemode fiddled around rebooted a couple of times and figured out that since this gfx card is dual core I can try and disable the one that windows is detecting as new hardware. So i went into safemode and disabled one of the two installed nvidia geforce 9800gx2 in device manager.. and voila now the system works but i dont know how this will affect performance.

Could it be that one gpu has fried or been damaged?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds