Possible failing PSU/Not enough power...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zmodem, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

I have a coolermaster 600w PSU. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find it on the website, as the model I have has NO 6-pin PCI-e connector, nor does it have an 8. Anyways, on to more specs:

Mobo: Asus M3N78 Pro
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850 Black Edition 2.80Ghz
    Ram: 2x2GB Corsair extreme
    HDD: 1xMaxtor 300Gb SATA II; 1xSeagate 160GB EIDE; 1xMDT (Magnetic Data Technology) 320GB (Yes, I know this is a junk drive. Didn't know at the time)
    PCI-e: 1xEVGA GeForce 8600 GTS 512mb, needs additional power from 12V Rail, not a 6-pin PCI-e
    PCI: 1x802.11 Wireless Linksys Network Card
    USB: 1xLinksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
    Drive: 1xLG Internal Super Multi DVD RW 22x Drive

Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS
    Fans: 1x25CM side fan (Blowing in); 1x12CM Silent Front fan (blowing in); 1x12CM Silent Rear Fan (Obviously, blowing out); 1x9CM Top Fan (Blowing out); 1x9CM Rear Fan (Blowing out)

PSU: CoolerMaster Cooling Power 600w w/fan, blowing out (der?)

OS: Windows XP Professional SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate SP2

The reason I have 2 network cards is simple: The PCI one works in XP, but not in Vista (no vista compatible drivers). Read on for the explanation of why I can't stand using the USB one for either OS.

The motherboard+cpu+ram are all only 4 months old. I bought them all in August when I built this. Video Card is ~1 year old, and the HDs and PSU are about 3 1/2 years old.

Here are the 3 crazy situations that are happening that lead me to believe it's the PSU:

1.) When playing ANY games that require 3d graphics, this also counts when I do 3dMARK benching and FurMark benchtests, the computer will just shut off. No warnings, no nothing and there is not a thing in the Windows error reports/logs that says anything happened. Usually, in my past experience, this means that the error occured before even reaching a hardware level, other than losing the stream of power. Anyways, I get TOTAL black screens, but I DO NOT have to unplug the power from the PSU to the wall in order to turn it back on. I just hit the power switch and boom, off we go. This also indicated that the motherboard did not experience a problem, as that is the usual case when a mobo error occurs.

2.) While I have the Keyboard and mouse plugged into the KB/Mouse USB ports, any OTHER usb devices that get added get disconnected/reconnected when they are in use. For example: The only USB device I use is the Wireless-G adapter, but the minute I start using it for intense things, say streaming a video, it will disconnect/reconnect. It's NOT just the network disconnecting me, though, because it's the actual USB device disconnecting within windows.

3.) Thinking that it was the video card for the gaming/3d problems, I went out and bought an XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB-DDR5 card and threw it in here. Now, we all know how ridiculous it is to convert BOTH of that cards on-board 6-pin adapters to rail adapters, but I had only that choice. However, the minute the computer started, it would post, begin loading the OS and just completely shut off, to a black screen, like it would when playing a game with the other card. Again, leading me to believe that the PSU is just being pushed well beyond it's max for providing enough power.

I listed both XP and Vista, because I use both and both of these issues happen in both OSs, even on clean installs. I have tried everything but I don't have a power supply larger than a 600w to test this out with. I was going to buy one but I figured I'd consult with the pros before doing so. Buying a new mobo is not out of the question, either, but I've heard that this motherboard is SOLID and Asus had pretested this board before it left the factory.

Any help is appreciated, guys, thank you so much for your time!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. blackcivic

blackcivic Private E-2

could be the PSU as you mentioned, but could also be the mother board with other devices failing. have you verified to make sure all connections are secure?

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like it could be heat relatred also. Are the fans and heat-sinks clogged with dust?

4. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Yes, I've verified the connections. I even put in my old mobo and tried it out with an old HD and everything ran fine. Put the new MB back in and it's doing the same thing. VERY unsure about what is happening.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

If your old mobo doesn't show signs of issues it could be a bad motherboard. You may want to look and see if there is a bios update that can help. Sometimes bios updates help.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Try OCCT. This app will stress all of your components to the limit and give you graphs or CSV files if the failure point has been reached when a default value has been exceeded. These defaults can be adjusted up/down and includes CPU/GPU/HDD temps plus voltages on the CPU.

You may have to reduce/increase the thresholds until you can get a recordable failure point through several tries of this app and go on from there. At least you'll have a better idea of what's going on. Good luck.

7. augiedoggie

An afterthought, pull out USB and any other extra stuff that you don't need out so you get some clear results. CM make decent PSU's and a 600W should do you just fine.

8. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Well, here's a funny thing. I used the onboard graphics and it seems to run everything just fine, however, with my old MOBO and the NEW graphics card, it runs fine, just not with the new Mobo. Could the motherboard be drawing too much power for no reason? If the motherboard was messing up, wouldn't it at least produce some sort of error in the error log, or a stop message inside a BSOD?

As per the question, no, none of my fans are clogged. I clean this system using air every 2 weeks. I mean I seriously clean it, by removing the fans and taking them into the garage and liberally air-canning them out. I don't like dust in my case, especially when the side panel is clear ;-)

9. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Here's the OCCT test results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. augiedoggie

Is this still the issue with the new mobo and GPU as to PSU connectors? I see your mobo(M3N78 Pro) needs a 24-pin ATX connection along with the extra 12V 4-pin ATX connection plus your GPU(8600 GTS) needs a 4-pin Molex hookup from what I see. If either of the last two are missing then that's why but you seem to know your way around. :confused

11. augiedoggie

Jeez, after looking at your OCCT stats, everything should be fine if the issue occurs less than 2 min.. :confused Try a longer run like 15 min. or longer. My AMD X2 PC crapped out at 13 min. from an overheated CPU. I can't help you further. Sorry.

12. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

The 24-pin ATX + 4-pin ATX 12V's are both intact, as well the Molex cable is connected to the GPU.

Since everything seems fine, and I'm 100% this is not an overheating issue because I've ran some CPU tests and GPU tests, all resemble these charts from OCCT. So, in short, could the motherboard possibly be crapping out? I mean, I know all problems aren't the same, but it's capable of just cold cocking down, shutting off to a black screen without any sort of warning? Could be a short in the board circuitry somewhere. Maybe if I disconnect the USB device and run it it would work, seeing as how that seems to be the major issuer of problems. I will try that and get back to you guys.

13. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Doesn't look like disconnecting the USB device fixed anything. This is truly weird, though, because if I unhook the EVGA card that takes an extra Molex cable and enable the onboard graphics, I can play any games I want, with terrible graphics, of course, and it will run just fine. Wouldn't it put more strain on the motherboard and less on the PSU? The motherboard would seem more likely to overload in that case. Not sure, though. Still confused! LoL

14. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This may be a fault between the Motherboard and an external GPU, such as a bent pin on the connector (very unlikely as they are in plastic grooves) or with a circuit pathway between the graphics connector and the point that the pathways join the Northbridge.

Are you aware of any bending that has occurred to the motherboard in the past?

15. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

collinsl:

Not that I am aware of. I am the only one who's ever put a GPU in this motherboard. Brand new, shipped straight from Asus and pre-tested. I put the GPU in flawlessly the first time and it fit like a glove. However, the USB port thing has persisted since day one. Only over the past, I'd say, 2 months or so has the black out thing been occurring when playing games. Lead me, in the first place, to believe it was the motherboard, but when I plugged in the new graphics card, the HD4890, it wouldn't even boot at all, which made me suspect the PSU. But, like I was seeing in the OCCT results, my PSU seems to be performing remarkably well. Still...confused... :)

16. augiedoggie

Well, that certainly makes sense if you don't have the proper PSU specs. Still, a recent PSU should have the proper connections and power to supply that GPU.:confused Heck, maybe it is a PSU issue but it shouldn't be.

17. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Okay, guys, so I've finally found out a few things about the PSU. It's an older CoolerMaster 600w PSU, but, apparently, CoolerMaster realized that this old PSU wasn't putting out the 600w, not even close, as to what they were saying it would. It's 36AMPS on the 12V rail, but the model is: RS-500-PCAR, not the -A3 as they've rebranded as 500w. Everyone is saying that even rebranded as 500w, that is PEAK, as well as the possible 36A on the 12V rail. Even IF this mobo is going bad, I'm DEFINITELY upgrading my PSU. Probably get the Corsair 750TX. However, I need a full form-factor ATX board, what would you guys say to this:

ASUS-M3N-HT-Deluxe-HDMI-Motherboard

It looks solid, as I have a 7850 BE AMD CPU (AM2+) so I need to stick with a board that handles that. As well, I have the Corsair PC2-6400 (DDR2) RAM, so I need to stick with something that can boast that, as well. Thanks in advance! I figured it's best to just get a new PSU, Board and HD just to take out all 3 of these punks that are frustrating the hell outta me. In the meantime, I'll stick with the EVGA 8600GTS until I can purchase the 4890 Radeon again (took it back when it didn't work). Let me know what you guys think of these parts.

P.S. Still confused about my initial problems LoL!!!!

18. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I'm just as confused as you.

As for the new parts, I think that would be a good system.

Interesting info about the PSU. You would have expected a reputable company like Corsair to be more careful.

Just make sure you get a good quality PSU as that is one of the most crucial components in a system.

Try and get one that is from a brand in blue in the good column of this list: http://forum.pcmech.com/showthread.php?t=208143

19. augiedoggie

I'm still confused too.:-D Just a small anecdote if I may, my Antec Earthwatts 500W could not power my GTX260-216 though it powers a pair of 9800GTs very nicely in my Q6600 machine and should be able to IMO.

Anyways, I have the Corsair 750TX and that thing runs sweet and quiet powering my GTX260.:) That should get your GPU up and going!:innocent:-D

20. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Hey guys, thanks for all of your help. Still frustrated that I could not just pinpoint the exact problem, but when that happens, I figure go for the glory and just blast everything with new parts; especially something as crucial as a PSU, or motherboard, or, hell, a hard drive for that matter. Thanks a lot guys! Sorry we couldn't crack the case ;-) I'll let you know when the upgrade is finished and I'm on my way.

21. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Hey, just to let everyone know, I bought the Corsair 750w TX PSU and it solved EVERYTHING, even my voltage issues and my USB bullshit. I guess my old CM was just going bad. I'm STOKED!!!

22. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Glad you got it fixed. I have the same PSU and it's awesome.

23. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

I must agree with you. This thing is GNARLY! I can't believe what it came with. That 1 +12VV rail is insanely badass! :) I'm really, really happy. Best $100 I ever spent! Now to get an HD4890 again!

24. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I do have to agree 70 amps on the 12+ rail is enough to power anything right now. I suppose you got yours from newegg?

Soon a 275 for me

25. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Actually, Best Buy. :) I didn't feel like waiting to have it shipped, and the Best Buy here in town has prices that either meet or MATCH Newegg/Amazon. Pretty sweet. They've got an XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB DDR5 XTOC for like $189.99. Not bad!

26. augiedoggie

Great! I also have the same PSU and I just love it! Those longer leads also make for better cable management.

27. Zmodem

Zmodem Private E-2

Yea, totally! I couldn't believe it. It also makes it much easier to tuck away the cables you are not using, too. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds