Networking My Computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drusmooth, Aug 26, 2003.

1. drusmooth

drusmooth Private E-2

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to network three computers together, all bought within the last year. I would like for all of them to be able to print off the same printer.
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

You run cat5s' between them or through a hub/switch and then you go to Network Connection wizard....

3. Dizgruntled

Dizgruntled Private E-2

you'll need a hub and 2 cat-5 ethernet cables. the instructions on how to do this should be in the windows helpfile.

4. Dizgruntled

Dizgruntled Private E-2

DUDE! you replied at like the exact same time I did, your reply wasn't there when I checked out this thread!

5. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

Actually I replied 2 minutes before you, 20:50 as compared to 20:52, either you're using dial-up, a transparent proxy, or took a while to read/type

6. drusmooth

drusmooth Private E-2

they are all connected to the internet through a router. a hub is somthing different. I already did the connection wizard and I can share files but dont know how to share a printer

7. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Alrighty
    First i need to know the OSs of each PC. then we can move onwards

8. drusmooth

drusmooth Private E-2

*****a hub is somthing different?

9. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

10. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Firstly Vlad, get off you damn high horse. If you don't want to help people nicely, dont bother. No one who comes herewith a perfectly valid reason deserves the rude atitude you give them. Jjust because you know more then them, does not make you better then them. You do this in almost all your responces to questions. Did it ever Occur to you that some people dont know how to properly use google, or dont even know it exists.
    Or that some people want Detailed instructions, and frankly if you dont want to give them why do you bother responding.
    This person asks a good question, albiet one thats asked often, but one that in most cases, a tutorial won't get everything they want done. So they come here, a tech Forum, to ask for help. This isn't like some other Forum you may have gone too, and i'm sure you should know that by now, but in case you dont maybe you should know that this is a civil place and if you don't have the ability to act in a civil manner, you might as well just leave

Oh and FYI two broken links are so helpful. before you go complaining he didn't google, check your link ;)
    Remember MA's Sig, think about it.

11. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

TechTV link has a space, everything else work for me, I'm not behind a transparent proxy and nameserver is updated, I was being helpful in that I actually went through different searches to find a good one and posted links that I actually liked, I like being concise, if you want to reply do so in PM please as this thread has so many OT posts already...

12. drusmooth

drusmooth Private E-2

settle down guys! One of the good parts about this site is that you can get a response that is right to the point for someone like me who already knows the basics; however if your a newbie there are kind people out there who will guide you through each step. Vlad isn't rude, just to the point, and perfect for my needs. but I appreciate iamien for people with less experience
    Thanks Guys
    Brian

13. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Ah forget it.
    Anyway things working? if not lets start fro mthe top :p

PS: its not realy this responce that got me its other, but what ever, people asking dont care then i realy dont.

14. PsychoKlown

PsychoKlown Private E-2

TO drusmooth

Sir,

Unlike our nasty viking friend, Vlad the Rude, ALL my emails (yahoo, hotmail. msn, aol) all have BLOCK features so I will more than gladly help with what I can. If your still having problems, email me at cycliche@aol.com and I can explain how *I* did mine. I am network illiterate to an extent, so keep that in mine. But I figure if I can successfully do it, ANYONE can.

First, if you plan on sharing a cable or dsl connection you will need a router, 3 cat5 cables, a bottle of aspirin, and some time.

If you do not, then all you need is a hub, 3 cat5 cables and half a bottle of aspirin, and some time.

:)

Let me know what OS's are on each, and together we may be able to get it going. I too will hopefully learn something from this.

Danny

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds