Windows XP - Could not configure the information on set up...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fernando Magallanes, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Fernando Magallanes

Fernando Magallanes Private E-2

So, I have a HP Pavilion dv5000. It was messed up so I got a newer version of Windows XP [Service 3}. I didn't update the BIOS [I've read this could be the problem], and now my computer has no OS, and it is stubornly asking for this specific set up disc on start up [ I tried setting an older home version of XP, but i'm not allowed].

Any thoughts?

Much obliged!

FM

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Can you do a system restore to a point before you did the install or reboot pressing F8 when you get to advanced user settings choose last known good configuration or is it that you can't boot to any of those either !

3. Fernando Magallanes

Hey Rustyjack, thanks!

I just tried, and it cannot boot when I get to advanced user settings choose last known good configuration. It does nothing. No system restore either, it is in Limbo!

Actually, now it doesn't even find the setup I had midway. When it asks to select the operating system to start, I get two choices:
    -Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed [which is the old OS, but if I chose this, then it tells me that "Windows couldn't start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.SAV - You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom" - which I dont have ofcourse- "Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

the second choice is actually a blank line that takes me to the same spot, so I have to say that it is worst than before for some reason.

Many thanks for your help

FM

4. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

You could try this i have done this before on a friends comp, i've just copied for you to try !

There are times when you would want to restore Windows XP but do not have the installation CD with you. If your computer came without the Windows XP installation CD, chances are that the manufacturer has a copy of it on your hard drive. The steps below explain how to restore Windows XP without the installation CD.

Back up all the data in your computer to a CD or a DVD. This includes pictures, documents, videos and passwords.

Go to C: WINDOWS/i386/winnt32.exe. This is the location of the copy of the Windows XP installation program.

Double click on the winnt32.exe file to start the application and follow the instructions.

Make sure to have the Windows product key or the serial number. This is usually a small sticker that has the serial number on it. Check if the sticker is stuck somewhere on the computer. You will be asked for this number during the installation. If you do not have the product key number, contact your computer manufacturer to get the information.

Agree to the terms and conditions on the last step of the installation to complete the installation and restore the Windows XP operating system.

Hope this helps !
    Rusty ;)

5. Fernando Magallanes

Thanks Rustyjack!

However, I cannot access the C: drive. I have no interface in the computer, just a black screen. I can't even find the Command Prompt anymore. It is stuck on a loop of asking me what OS I want to choose, then tells me, on a black screen, that "Windows couldn't start because the following file is missing or corrupt: WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.SAV - You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-Rom..." then a restart, and so on.

Thanks

FM

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

If you have access to another computer :

Try this fix and download a copy a Barts Preinstalled Environment (BART PE): http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4007.html This will allow you to boot into a windows like environment and avoid a lot of the re-booting involved on the Microsoft support instructions.
    1. Boot from the BART PE cd, (you might have to enable cd-booting in the BIOS).
    2. Use the file manager to delete everything in the C:\windows\system32\config folder - or the command prompt if you are comfortable with it.
    3. Using the file manager, go to the C:\System Volume Information\_restore{D86480E3-73EF-47BC-A0EB-A81BE6EE3ED8}\RPxxxx\Snapshot folder (the long code is an example and use the RPxxx folder with the largest - most recent number)
    4. Copy the following files:
    • _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT
    • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY
    • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE
    • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM
    • _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM
    5. Paste them into the C:\windows\system32\config folder
    6. Rename the pasted files as follows:
    • Rename _REGISTRY_USER_.DEFAULT to DEFAULT
    • Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SECURITY to SECURITY
    • Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE
    • Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM to SYSTEM
    • Rename _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SAM to SAM
    7. Re-boot (removing the BART PE CD) into windows
    8. Restore the PC to a previous restore point by:
    Click Start, and then click All Programs. Click Accessories, and then click System Tools. Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint. (The most recent available should be OK).

Lets see if this sorts your problem out !

Rusty !

7. Fernando Magallanes

Thanks Rustyjack,
    I'm running a non-intel Mac, and cannot access that app [Bart's PE].
    Anywhere on the net I could get the actual Bart PE CD or image so I can burn it to a disc from here?

Thanks

FM

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

9. Fernando Magallanes

Thanks hrlow2,
    However, what I get there is an .exe file that I cannot run on my mac. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edgar

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Might try posting this in the Macintosh forums.
    They should be able to help with your Mac.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since you did not make the recovery DVDs for your dv5000, start here
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00608578&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=499849
    and scroll to the section Creating the recovery discs from the Command Prompt pressing F11 should either enable you to get a recovery CD made or restore the computer from the hidden recovery partition.

If that fails, contact HP and buy a set of recovery DVDs for your dv5000.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=499849&docname=c00810334

12. Fernando Magallanes

Hello All,
    Thanks for all the replies. Been working on this and here are the results:

I've tried multiple things listed here, none have worked...
    1. I got a second Windows Machine, did the Bart PE Bootable disc, but the computer simply does not read it.
    2. Pressing F11 does nothing to this machine, I basically do not have a command Prompt.
    3. I found the "Emergency discs" for the machine, yet the boot up ignores it.

I basically believe that the HD was formatted and the computer has nothing to work out off. I'm blank.
    Plodr - I think getting the recovery discs from HP would be useless, as the computer is not booting out of any CD/DVDs, what do you think? I mean, I have the emergency DVDs for when the computer was new, and it is ignored by the booting system.

Any thoughts, on how to program a computer from point zero basically?

Many thanks to all

FM

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What happens when you hit F10 repeatedly during the HP screen before Windows? Do you get into the Startup/BIOS utility? If so look for boot order and make sure CDROM is listed before HD.

14. Fernando Magallanes

Hi Sach2,
    I can get to the BIOS set-up with F10. Yep, it definitely is - CD-ROM 1st on the list, I had done this before, thanks for checking...

Thanks

FM

15. sach2

Do you see a way to disable or remove HD from the Boot order? If you could temporarily set it to boot only from CDROM you might be able to determine if the CD/DVDROM is bad.

16. Fernando Magallanes

I've disabled all other boot option but the CDROM.

Bart PE doesn't boot up, although there is a lot of spinning on the CDROM and the light is blinking. The same with the emergency discs.
    I just see a blinking cursor at the top left, but nothing more.

The thing is, the computer was damaged when I attempted to erase it and put a new OS, using a DVD. It was reading the DVD before [when it functioned]...

So, nothing yet, but it was worth the try! If it all fails I'll try the Recovery discs from HP, any other thoughts?

Thanks!

FM

17. sach2

I was thinking that when Windows installs after it copies files and reboots (it sets the time to choose to boot from CD to like 1 second so that the temporary install OS starts and finishes the installation without user interference). So that could have been the cause of not being able to choose to boot from CD since the time was set so low. But I'm unsure if that is actually true--it may only be related to their installation CD.

That no CD starts with only CD set as a boot device is a problem. Not sure how that can be if the CDROM is still good. A bad installation should have no way of damaging the device. I don't see how a new set of HP discs will be any better.

Maybe you could download a small bootable CD like Partition Wizard and write it as an image file to a blank CD using imgburn or similar burning software. See if it boots and gives you any info about your HD. It probably won't boot but it is a small download and a simpler file than Bart's so less chance of download corruption. If it did boot it might be a useful utility.

18. Fernando Magallanes

I will try that, I need a second Windows machne... In the mean time, I'm using Toast 10 in the mac to create the Bart PE boot disc. It has an ISO option to create a CD. What do I burn, the ISO file itself [the one Bart PE program created} or the folder Bart PE that is not a ISO file [ this folder was also created by the program, i did both just in case]...

Thanks

FM

19. sach2

I'm lost on both the Bart PE and Mac. An ISO is just a container for the folders that is easily recognized by a burning program like Toast to signify it needs to be made bootable. So I would use Toast to burn the Bart PE ISO. You could also use Toast to burn the Partition Wizard ISO. It just won't run on the Mac but the PC should recognize it.

20. Fernando Magallanes

Hello.

Somehow I found a disc that gave life back to the PC. It is a very old version of windows XP, but I'm half way there. Many thanks to all of you... I have updated the BIOS and will now try again the upgraded version of XP... I might be back !

Thanks!

FM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds