wireless network connection issues. help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nanouk77, Jan 3, 2010.

1. nanouk77

nanouk77 Private E-2

Hi Folks, I would appreciate help please!

Ive had a wireless network in my house for years with no problems. It had a desktop pc wired to and and a laptop, xbox 360 and wii connected wirelessly. I didnt need to tamper with the router, just plug in and go!

Just before christmas we bought a spanking new laptop with windows 7. When we tried to connect that to the wireless network, it would connect at the expense of every other device connected.

The new laptop wireless connection would be ok for 15 mins, the status would then change to limited internet access, then to no internet access.

I know enough to set up port forwarding for online games, but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I know less about this stuff than you, but I found these "tips" which *may* help (?) - and thought it might give you some ideas if nothing else - especially while you're awaiting someone more knowledgeable than myself to come-along here...

I left out the first several suggestions as it sounds as if you may have tried them (though you can view them from the link).

I found nothing in a quick search for 'MS-WIN7 and inherent wireless connect problems'.

Good Luck

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

PS ~ #6 would likely differ somewhat there in the UK/Scotland

10 tips for improving your wireless network

If Windows ever notifies you about a weak signal, it probably means your connection isn't as fast or as reliable as it could be. Worse, you might lose your connection entirely in some parts of your home. If you're looking to improve the signal for your wireless network, try some of these tips for extending your wireless range and improving your wireless network performance.

5. Add a wireless repeater
    Wireless repeaters extend your wireless network range without requiring you to add any wiring. Just place the wireless repeater halfway between your wireless access point and your computer, and you'll get an instant boost to your wireless signal strength. Check out the wireless repeaters from ViewSonic, D-Link, Linksys, and Buffalo Technology.

6. Change your wireless channel
    Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just like you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.
    7. Reduce wireless interference
    If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies.
    8. Update your firmware or your network adapter driver
    Router manufacturers regularly make free improvements to their routers. Sometimes, these improvements increase performance. To get the latest firmware updates for your router, visit your router manufacturer's Web site.
    Similarly, network adapter vendors occasionally update the software that Windows uses to communicate with your network adapter, known as the driver. These updates typically improve performance and reliability. To get the driver updates, do the following:

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

• Click Start menu, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
    • In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows Vista looks for the latest updates for your computer.
    • Install any updates relating to your wireless network adapter.

Windows XP

• Visit Microsoft Update, click Custom, and then wait while Windows XP looks for the latest updates for your computer.
    • Install any updates relating to your wireless adapter.

9. Pick equipment from a single vendor
    While a Linksys router will work with a D-Link network adapter, you often get better performance if you pick a router and network adapter from the same vendor. Some vendors offer a performance boost of up to twice the performance when you choose their hardware: Linksys has the SpeedBooster technology, and D-Link has the 108G enhancement.
    10. Upgrade 802.11b devices to 802.11g
    802.11b is the most common type of wireless network, but 802.11g is about five times faster. 802.11g is backward-compatible with 802.11b, so you can still use any 802.11b equipment that you have. If you're using 802.11b and you're unhappy with the performance, consider replacing your router and network adapters with 802.11g-compatible equipment. If you're buying new equipment, definitely choose 802.11g.
    Wireless networks never reach the theoretical bandwidth limits. 802.11b networks typically get 2-5Mbps. 802.11g is usually in the 13-23Mbps range. Belkin's Pre-N equipment has been measured at 37-42Mbps.
    Top of page
    Author Bio: Tony Northrup

Tony Northrup is a writer, Internet engineer, and digital photography enthusiast. Tony has a decade of experience making networks and servers connected to the Internet run smoothly. He has authored and co-authored eight books about using Windows and has written dozens of articles about Internet technologies. When he's not on his deck writing, he plays with home-automation technologies and takes pictures for display in a Web photo album. He lives in the Boston area with his wife Erica and cat Sammy. You can learn more about Tony by visiting his Web site at http://www.northrup.org.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry - I ran-out of edit time.

Here's another link - hopefully helpful...

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk/ar...tup-common-installation-issues-and-fixes.aspx

Perhaps this (below) will help? (within the link, about halfway down the page) -->
    Cause 2:

Network Connection is lost during installation when using web setup.

Solution:

Re try the Windows SDK installation and switch to ISO install if the problem persists.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Just seen a router mains adapter fail on an Edinburgh installation.

Anyway what is your router?
    And what OS is your othr pc running?

I suspect an IPV6 - IPV4 issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds