Port 21 blocked unable to FTP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badger, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Badger

Badger Private E-2

I am unable to FTP, upload pages to my clients sites.
    I dont have a firewall. 2 weeks ago I uninsyalled zone alarm as it was causing problems.

It is definatly a blocked port 21 on my computer.
    Is there any way of unblocking it ??
    Any help very greatfully accepted.:( :( :( :(

2. Davey_Pitch

Davey_Pitch Private E-2

Badger, firstly, welcome to MajorGeeks :) Secondly, questions like this should go in the networking section, where this thread will now be moved to :)

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

not behind a router/NAT device are you?

If so you'll need to forward the port to that specific computer...

Also have you checked your ISP? Id be rather worried if they blocked port 21.

Oh yes is it not at all possible to try setting up the server to accept connections on another port?

4. Badger

Badger Private E-2

Found Answer to blocked Port 21

Thanks for your help guys. I solved the problem.
    I reinstalled zone alarm again . when I selected the FTP programm it gave permission to use port 21 so I could FTP upload again.

Then I uninstalled it, but this time using the programms uninstall feature and NOT the third party uninstall programm I had previously used. everything is ok again but it cause me to panic for a few days.

I now use F-secure as my firewall and virus scanner after going to "shields up" http://grc.com to see if I had any leaky ports shields up scanned my ports doing a check and F-secure picked up the probe and reported it, zone alarm did not.. I previously had Nortons antivirus but with a scan with F-S I picked up 5 viruses which nortons let through.:) :)

5. Vlad902

Vlad902 Guest

All mainstream firewalls and mainstream AVs' are very alike, those 4 "viruses" may have been nothing but the AV needs to BS you so you think need it.

6. Badger

Badger Private E-2

Point taken

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds