Dynamic IP forwarding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan the Man, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

Hey Folks,

I have a dynamic IP address at home on an aDSL line. I have a static IP at work. Both computers running XP pro. I'd like to be able to find my home computer from work so I can access it by remote access or whatever. Is there software that I can install on my home computer that will forward the IP address to my work so I can always "look it up" when I need to access the computer? Is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks

Dan

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

3. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. The website helped and I think I'm half way there. I can now type in a url and get my router, (linksys WRT54G) but can't seem to figure out how to get passed that. I realize I can open ports for FTP etc. But I'd like to allow a remote desktop connection with Windows XP pro. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks

Dan

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

You have to forward the correct ports for your remote desktop software. For VNC (RealVNC, TightVNC, UltraVNC) that's TCP 5900 by default (5800 for web viewer), for Windows XP's built-in it is TCP 3389 (and UDP 3389 for sound, apparently), for PC Anywhere it's TCP ports 5631 and 5632 as well as UDP port 5632.

5. Dan the Man

Dan the Man Private E-2

Thanks Da Chicken!

I think I've got things working now. You've been a big help!

Dan

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

7. aimeejoe72

aimeejoe72 Private E-2

Sorry to reply an old thread but I just came across it while searching for something and thought to leave the following tip...

Now you have some remote access software like RemotePC which do not rely on any port settings or IP issues.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds