no fans on motherboard working but CPU now.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 213Chrisp, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 213Chrisp

213Chrisp Private E-2

Currently Build is as followed.
    AMD x2 5600
    Asus m2a-vm motherboard
    9800gtx+ video card
    x-fi sound blaster with modded drivers
    1tb HD
    dvd burner
    inwin malestrom case
    rosewell 750w PS

Anyway.
    Everything was working perfectly, untill i decided to get the brilliant idea to tackel the wiring bundels hanging around the case. i took off the fans, and pulled of the 3 pin plugs, and added heat shrink and braided sheething. The side pannel of my case i was trying to solder all my wiring together to tighty up everything. after i finished hooking up the 4 neon 12" light bars to the HUGE 240M fan. on the side, my entire pc shut off, so i quickly diconnected the power supply, diconnected the side pannel from the pc , and rebooted the pc, and it is working ok, but now the onboard 3 pin fans are NOT working at all but the CPU fan is still working, Did i end up shorting out something on the motherboard with this accident? anyone have any suggestions?

I have diconnected the fans not working and pluged directly into a 4 pin molex plug with an adapter, and the fan works perfectly fine.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Sounds like you burned out the copper lines on the MB by placing too much of a load on the 3-wire connector.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

:eek

By soldering all your wires together, you shorted them all together. You also introduced some serious heat in there, and perhaps some significant static discharges.

And heat shrink requires heat to shrink - another possible source of damage.

I doubt you burned out the traces on the motherboard as that would take some pretty excessive current (if you did, you should be able to see the damage under close, perhaps magnified, inspection). But I suspect puppywunder is on the right track and something shorted caused too much current to flow through some circuit, perhaps fan control or heat sensor/monitoring circuits, and destroyed a sensitive device, or two.

If you can get all your fans to work, and the computer works fine otherwise, go buy a lottery ticket. And next time, use tie wraps. Having a tidy interior is important to ensure the best front to back air flow through the case, but the important part as far as "looks" is what's on the monitor. A case's job is to cool and provide physical protection from bumps and kicks. It should sit quietly and discretely off to the side, and not draw attention to itself.

Remember too that fancy lights do NOTHING for performance, add some heat, suck power, and do NOTHING for performance (worth repeating).

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds