Just noticed something weird??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigfurrykid, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I have a pair of JBL Platinum series speakers that came with my 1st computer that I purchased about 7 years ago or so.

I just recently started to use them again.

I think that I have the wrong power adapter plugged into them. They say 12v DC 1.0A on the back of the speaker and the adapter that I've been using is a 500mA.

Can this cause any damage to either the speakers, or worse? :banghead

I have a boatload of rechargeable devices in my home and I must have mixed up the chargers. :foolish

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I doubt that you will hurt then but you are supplying much less power then they were designed for.

3. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

That could explain why my electric toothbrush was going 300mph!
    [​IMG]

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are two key specifications that MUST be right - the connector polarity and the voltage. The polarity is critical. Some supplies put the negative voltage on the center pin, some the positive. This is why all supplies have a little picture showing which. If your speakers require 12VDC or more, then you are fine. But if they require +6VDC, you may be in trouble.

In your case, the voltage is fine (or I doubt the speakers would work), but if the supply can only deliver 500mA (.5A) and the speaker's internal amplifiers need 1A, they may be placing too big of a demand on that supply, causing it to overheat. So I would not be worried about damaging your speakers, but rather the power block overheating - that could result is much more than destroying your speakers. I would find the correct supply, or go buy some new speakers.

While out shopping for new speakers, pick up a silver permanent marker. Then go around the house and label all your supplies with the device they power.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds