DVD Drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedlamar, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I got a new DVD burner.
    It reads data cd's and DVD's fine but any time I put in an official disc such as Nero or 3DMark it crashes and hangs and I have to end process on explorer.exe.

I remember having a problem like this a while back and it was something to do with POI mode (not sure if I got that right) but can't remember how to change it.

I'm running widows 7 ultimate.

The drive setup is 2 IDE HDD and the DVD drive is SATA.

MOBO Asus M2N-VM HDMI

Any ideas?

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I've been looking round and cannot find anything that says there is a DMA/PIO option in Windows 7.
    I just tried a few more discs including ATI driver disc and same results, just hangs and I get "My Comp (Not Responding)"

As I said, any data disc, DVD or CD I put in is fine, just factory discs have the problem.

When I installed it I simply plugged it in to the SATA slot 1.

I'm out of ideas, I NEED some of MG's superior knowledge :)

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Nedlamar...

The fact that the drive reads data disks, but crashes with "official" disks, leads me to believe the problem is in how Windows is handling any autorun or setup .ini files...what happens if you try one of the problem disks while in Safe Mode? I know it probably will not run the desired program, but if the symptoms change, you might be able to see if some 3rd-party program is causing the freezes...

For that matter, will the machine boot to a Windows disk?

I'd be willing to bet this isn't a hardware problem...

4. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I don't think it's hardware either.
    I will try the suggestions you....suggested lol.

I'm thinking it's either a Windows configuration or like you say, something interfering.
    I'm still exploring Windows 7, if it was XP I'd probably have fixed it lol

Thanks for the ideas, I'll get back to you ASAP, gotta head out for a while first.

5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok I tried Safe mode and same result.
    Booted from Windows 7 disc and as far as I can tell it read it fine.

I just put in the 3dMark disc and it now doesn't even see the disc at all.

Any other ideas?

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Damn, missed the edit lol
    Anyway, I just put in the Windows 7 disc while booted normally.
    Same thing but it did see the disc in My Computer.

I ejected the disc (I do this to save me having to restart) I then get the error a few minutes later.

"The File 'autorun.dll' could not be loaded or is corrupt. Setup cannot continue. Error code is [0x456]"

I'm not sure is this is my problem or if it's because I ejected the disc.
    Searched google with no real info.

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Update.

Ok so I can definitely use the drive for data, I transfered files off the drive and even mounted an image from a data disc using daemon tools.
    But..... if I touch the drive in "My Computer" it crashes, this only happens when a factory burnt disc is in the drive OR the drive is empty, I right click the empty drive and same result... "My Computer" Not Responding.

What gives?

BTW sorry for posts in a row, just updating info and keep missing the edit timer.

Edit: this is my drive

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030
    Cannot find anyone having the same error.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Update:

Still fighting with it.
    So now I have found out that if I put the disc in and let it sit for 25 minutes it will auto run.
    OR if I double click the drive, after 25 minutes it will run.

But, it ran once fine using a DVD movie after the 25 minute wait but another time I tried with 3dMark and it ran after 25 minutes, installed to about 5% and just sat there for over 2 hours.

I retried a data disc this morning and IT too hung and crashed.

But if I boot from windows disc it takes me as far as I can go without actually installing windows.

I've tried new SATA cables and tried plugging into all 4 SATA ports on mobo, I've uninstalled it many times.

I've found out that some people have switched BIOS to AHCI mode but cannot find any explination of what is involved to do that, I gather from what I have read it requires a reinstall of windows.
    It also requires me to update BIOS, something I never feel very comfortable doing.

I also found out it is not a PIO/DMA thing as it's running in DMA ultra 5 mode.
    Both PIO and DMA are set to Auto in BIOS.

OMG somebody point me in the right direction. Please.

I'm starting to think maybe it IS a faulty drive which is why I'm reluctant to do any scary BIOS stuff.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Ned

With what you have posted so far I would be going down the route of a faulty drive, its not worth the hassle of adjusting Windows to fit if its a faulty drive, get a new one and if the same then there is the need to go down the route of troubleshooting your Windows install or HW settings.

10. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Hey Halo, thanks, I just needed someone to agree with one of my ideas lol

Since Sony and Asus refuse to reply to me lol

Before I send it back I'm going to test it in my boys machine........when he wakes up lol

His setup is the same except the hardware, meaning same windows and progs, if it works on his then obviously it's something I have to fix, if not then it's got to be the drive.

I just hate sending stuff back, I have to pay the bloody postage.

Man I'm in a bad mood today lol and all because of this drive.

11. DavidGP

Hi Ned

Good idea on testing in other PC as it will rule out either way PC or Drive as the culprit.

When the drive is plugged in is there any yellow warning signs in Dev Manager? I take it you have with drive plugged in uninstalled the CD Driver and then rebooted to load the driver again.

12. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

No yellow flags, Dev manager says it's working properly.
    Yes I've unistalled and rebooted a few times.

It's just so odd, thats why it's bugging me, it makes no sense.

Like I said above, if I boot from disc including Boot Diags , Windows 7, Windows XP, they all boot fine and run fine.
    Obviously I only take op systems as far as I can without installing.

But once Windows is booted I get all kinds of problems.

Wanna buy a puter? :p

13. DavidGP

Hi Ned

Ok, lets try one more step to rule out another potential area, in the upper and lower filters, this guide HERE and works for Windows 7 also.

14. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Did notice in the Newegg reviews that 100 out of 600 reviews gave it 3 eggs or less. Seems a bit high to me.

Does the drive have a jumper to force 1.5Gb/sec mode? Try that if it does.

Sam

15. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

I had a similar problem with a LG GH22NP20 IDE DVD drive that would not show up in Win 7 unless I scanned for hardware then would not always read discs and I would have to rescan for it every reboot.

I'm trying to find the link (it was on Microsoft's site) that had you click on a registry fix. It did it for you automatically so you didn't have to manually edit it. Drive has worked fine in Win 7 ever since.

Sam

16. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok Scajjr I will wait on that, thank you.

@Halo... Thank you if Scajjr cannot locate the link I will try your idea.

I just hooked it up to my boys PC and it worked fine, a little slower than I expected but it did work reasonably.

I can't help but wonder if it's my mobo, I know this mobo has had a lot of compatability issues with various things and the onboard graphics have never worked and it's not just me having these probs.

But if the above doesn't work I guess I will just have to go back to my old drive.

The reason I bought a new drive was...

A: I needed one because my old one is a bit glitchy.
    B: I needed the IDE slot for my storage HDD, so I bought an SATA DVD drive to free up the plug on the ribbon.

Dammit, I can never just buy something that works normally lol

17. DavidGP

Link to MS FixIT for upper lower filters is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060 (didnt think it worked yet in Win7 so maybe they updated, manual fix is quick tho, know this link off by heart as been doing feedback steps Dell have posted on this)

Seems like you may have a filter issue, or a controller issue on the mobo, maybe worth re-installing the lastest Chipset for that mobo.

18. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Oooo I don't wanna install mobo drivers again, it took me 3 days to stablize them with my graphics card last time lol
    Also I downloaded them this morning and they use ATI install wizzard, they shouldn't do that should they?

I'm gonna play with this filter suggestion of yours, if it all goes pear shaped I'm blamming you :p

j/k ;)

Edit: Ok looked in reg.

Not sure on the instructions. It says upper and lower filters, I see nothing that matches. Sorry for being a tard.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  19. DavidGP

That rules out a filter issue then, the chipset was just an idea for now, maybe leave that till much later and last resort type of thing.

Must put thinking cap on now.

20. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol, I knew that sounded too easy.

Thanks for your time Halo, you're a good man :)

I just wish I could find a definite answer, if it simply wont work with my mobo then fine, sucks but at least I know.

21. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Thanks for your help guys :)

After everything I've read and tried I have come to the conclusion it just HAS to be an issue with my mobo/win7/IDE , more on the mobo side. Like I said I know lots of people have had various issues with this model.
    So I guess I'll put the drive back in the box and wait until I update my mobo and get SATA HDD's so it's ALL SATA.

22. DavidGP

Hi Ned

Post how everything is or would be hooked on on what cables etc?

Also just to test apart from the main HDD, unplug any other SATA driver and any IDE ones that maybe in the PC then just try the DVD SATA and your main HDD and see if that works, maybe also double check in the BIOS that the SATA DVD is recognised and as another test remove the SATA drive from the boot order and just boot direct to the main HDD.

23. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Hook ups as follows:

2 IDE HDD hooked up on 1 IDE cable to 1 slot. Mastered and Slaved as should be.
    1 Ext HDD USB
    No other drives hooked up.

Have tried booting after unplugging slave HDD with same results.
    BIOS does detect DVD drive as does Device manager and Disc Manager and Nero info tools.

Everything says it's working correctly.

Have not tried removing from boot order but will do that as soon as I'm allowed back on PC lol

Edit: Almost forgot lol, I had a reply from Sony.
    They asked if the drive is connected properly *face palm*
    And they suggested a BIOS update.

I'm still reluctant to do that though as have had bad experience with it before but I will if need be, I just want to exhaust all other avenues first.

Oh and I checked out my mobo drivers, they are all up to date.

24. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, I've had issues before with mixing IDE and SATA on an ASUS mobo(A8N-E) but it was the mix of HDD's on XP that gave me grief. I never did figure it out, even with expert help ATT. If you have the opportunity then I'd plug an IDE optical in there first and see what happens, just for a test. Just keep your SATA until you can use it.

I'd also wait on a mobo change until you do swap everything to SATA first to see if that's the issue as it was for me, and I'm still using the same mobo today!:hyper:celebrate

25. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

My old drive is IDE, it works flawlessly.....well it works lol, it's just very old and glitches sometimes so I thought I'd get a new one. Plus as I mentioned earlier in the thread I have 2 IDE HDD's and wanted to use them both but couldn't having only got 1 IDE slot on mobo.
    I was going to buy a new HDD but thought since I'm low on funds a DVD drive is much cheaper and allows me access to my other IDE HDD.

As for mobo change, that will have to wait anyway as will the HDD's, I'm not working atm and waiting on workmans comp claim so pretty skint.

I've pretty much decided on the CPU/mobo/HDD's I want and I need about $450.... but I guess food is more important lol

26. DavidGP

Hi Ned

Read today that a fair few folk have issues with SATA on some ASUS boards, and it could be the BIOS version needing updating for AHCI and BIOS version 0702 covers that update! (0709 i svery latest bios update with some other additiosn like fine tuning DVI and the temperature readings) do you know what BIOS version you have installed?

But know what you mean about BIOS flashing if not needed.

27. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ooo I can't remember now but I know it's not got the AHCI option so it's pretty old.

I got the impression that changing to AHCI requires a reinstall of windows, is that correct or did I read that wrong?

Also if I'm going to do a BIOS update what is the safest way?

28. augiedoggie

I know nothing about AHCI.:( The ASUS web BIOS update using their Windows app never worked for me. Instead I downloaded the thing first to HDD and installed it from there. Also, if your electricity feed is flaky then bring the box to where the power is stable for the update. Other than that, good luck.:)

29. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol that sound ominous.

You say install it from HDD, I read a little about this. Are you talking about downloading the Asus BIOS installer and the update?
    Not sure how that works.

I read the best way is to format a usb flash drive and load it from boot.

I'm very inexperienced in this department and cannot afford a screw up that makes my pc useless, so I need to be perfectly clear on what I'm doing here.

30. augiedoggie

Download the update, you should already have the installer installed from your mobo supplied disk. Option 3 on the one I have.

Yes, a flash drive will work fine. As to experience, most folks never flash a BIOS in the first place. Heck, I've only done it once in 8 years with three machines when I had to flash the BIOS to be able to upgrade my mobo from a single cored Athlon 3000+ to a dual-cored X2 3800+.

I would only upgrade my BIOS if my issue could only be resolved by a flash, not just to have the latest and greatest.;) The only thing I upgrade on a regular basis is my video drivers, even with those I always wait for a couple of weeks to see if the uber updaters have issues first. ;)

BTW, if you have dependable power then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm rural and there's always a power break for a second or two and just enough to shut the machine down. :( Heck, we never reset the nuker's clock. I bought a UPS as I got sick and tired of the machine going down.

31. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I'll have to check on the installer since my disc doesn't support Win7. I will find the installer.

I'm guessing from what I've seen that none of this is a simple exe double click?

As for power, I have dodgy power when it rains but it's been ok of late.
    I'll go balistic if a power outage kills my puter mid flash, the guys at power supplier wont know what hit them lol

32. augiedoggie

Oww, I forgot it's W7 that you have! No way that would load on W7 from original disk of course. Sorry.:-o

It could be as simple as a double-click but there's no safe way for me to test it out for you. I don't want to inadvertently update my BIOS.;)

33. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ok well I found the Afudos installer and the latest BIOS update.

So I guess I'm going to try it.

If you guys never see me again, please tell my story to your grandkids lol

34. augiedoggie

Good luck mate, see you on the other side.:)

35. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce you to the machine beating team from MajorGeeks Support Forums...

(In alphabetical order: )

From Canada:
    Augie....DOGGIE...!!!!! ........crowd goes wild "Doggie, doggie, doggie"

From....somewhere:
    CalibaN!!!!!........crowd goes wild "Cali..baN...CalibaN....CalibaN"

From the UK:
    HaaaaaaaaaaalO!!!!!.....crowd goes wild "Ha..lo, Ha...lo, Ha...lo"

And from the land that time forgot:

Ned....LamaR!!!!..... crowd hesitant.....and goes wild... "LamaR, LamaR, LamaR"

--------------------------------------------------

Yes, I got it, not the way I thought though lol

Done the update using Asus Auto Updater.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/ASUS-Update-Utility-Download-31917.html

Backed up old BIOS file.

Downloaded BIOS update 0709.rom from Asus website.

Installed using the above installer.

On reboot I had "Bad Checksum"
    I selected F2 = Restore Default settings.

Loaded Windows, used Update tool to check current version.
    0709 installed.

Still no luck with drive.

Rebooted into BIOS.
    Changed IDE controller/SATA from SATA to AHCI.
    Loaded Windows. Drive now wouldn't even see or spin a disc.

Rebooted into BIOS.

Changed the above option from AHCI to RAID
    Then Enabled RAID slot 1

Loaded Windows, succesfully installed 3D mark from disc.
    Watched DVD movie from disc.
    Copied Data from data disc.

We are rolling people! :celebrate

It's a little slow still but that might be the cheap drive, it works, good enough for me.

Thanks to all who helped out here :)

36. DavidGP

Wow cool stuff Ned and cheers for posting the indept steps you took.

37. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

No problem at all, half the reason this took so long was lack of info, now at least there is some info on the net that may help others.

In adition to this, I lost system sounds.

Have now fixed the issue.
    If anyone following this thread with the same problems and results encounters this sound problem, fix is here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1455061#post1455061

38. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

You do realise that with some of the newer motherboards just plugging a DVD drive into the last SATA slot sometimes resolves these issues?

39. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well the motherboard is a couple of years old now and I did plug it into every slot, honestly, read through the thread, I think between us we tried everything there is to try lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds