Software troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reeferdude, Sep 9, 2003.

1. reeferdude

reeferdude Private E-2

I have a problem, I just added a computer to the office that I share with another guy and I have a problem. There is 1 connection comming to the office from the rest of the network that I split with a switch. The problem is the new machine is running XP home and the other one is running 2k. I need to access files on the 2k machine from the XP machine, every time i go to map the folder it pulls up a login screen, I have tried the 2k machine's network login and guest but it tells me that i am not an admin. I have set myself up as an admin on the XP machine so I dont know whats going on, is there any way to turn this login screen off?

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You'll need to login to his computer under a username on his computer (the win2k box), in a manner thus;

COMPUTERNAME/USERNAME

or if you are using a domain (which you might be)

DOMAIN/USERNAME

i dont think the user needs admin privilages on that system, unless you've set up sharing security to be like that. Which it might be. Check the security policies for all the shares on the win2k box, to make sure the username you are trying to log in with has read acess (at least) to it. If you have the "Protected Storage" service on (which is on by default) then it will remember the username you use to log into that computer.

also for an office situation i would have recomended XP Pro rather than Home (ive had more luck with pro than Home when it comes to business networks) but since its already installed there isnt much you can do about that.

3. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

xp home can't connect to a domain

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You dont necessarily need to be on a domain to access files on a machine connected to the domain.

5. skysurfer

skysurfer Private E-2

XP Home can connect to a domain because that how I set it up now and I get DSL through it.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I think the more accurate statement here is, XP Home cannot JOIN a domain.

And thats a fact.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds