Windows Installer error re: Dell Resource CD

Discussion in 'Software' started by chasblount, Feb 28, 2010.

1. chasblount

chasblount Private E-2

Have a Dell XPS 400 running XP Media Center, sp3. On boot up a pop up indicates Windows Installer is attempting to configure the Dell Resource CD. It fails and produces an error message 1706. "No valid source could be found for product Dell Resource CD. The Windows Installer cannot continue"(this happens regardless whether the resource cd is in the drive or not). On examination of the event logs I find the following "information", "warning" and "error" involving MsiInstaller: "detection of product {FCD9CD52-7222-4672-94A0-A722BA702FD0} feature 'main app' component {ACC371A7-F7AA-403D-863E-8AE9BE1E2228}failed. The resource "c:\program files\dell\resource cd\ does not exist." The above product {FCD9CD . . . ect.} is found in the registry at HKey_Local Machine\Software\Installer\products and the info there indicates the product name is "Dell Resource CD." In the control panel Add/Remove directory there is an entry for Dell Resource CD. I have downloaded the Microsoft Windows Installer cleanup utility (but haven't run it yet). My system is running wonderfully except for the aforementioned nuisance. I realize the Resource CD contains the original drivers. Will the drivers be removed if I either (1) uninstall the Dell resource CD from add/remove; or (2) removing it with the Clean up tool? Should one of these options solve the error problem?

On a separate note, under C:\Dell\Drivers I have 21 files taking up 500MB of space. Can these be safely removed if I retain the Resource CD?

As a novice, I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. chasblount

chasblount Private E-2

Received advice to go ahead and uninstall Dell Resource CD from installed programs using the add/remove in control panel. Did so. After several reboots I no longer have the annoying windows installer error 1706 issues. As for the C:\Dell\Driver folder I was advised to leave it alone and will do so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds