motherboard fried, replacement question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glasshalffull5, Mar 23, 2010.

1. glasshalffull5

glasshalffull5 Private E-2

I'm replacing a hp dv9500 laptop motherboard, i have the new motherboard already and have some basic info on replacing it but want to make sure i got my bases covered.

are there any links here or on the net with steps to take, rules to follow when replacing a motherboard.

i was looking searching last night for about 2 hours and for threads on here today with little luck.

thanks for any help

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Try youtube, as much as I dislike youtube there are some good tutorial videos for this kind of thing on it :)
    Try to pick one that is done by someone with a good rating (not kids), preferably one of the Tech sites videos.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

4. glasshalffull5

thank,

that is the video i had opened and was planning to use. The creator of the video said he had a longer 30 minute version of this video but when i tried to contact him, i couldn't reach him and his site is no longer up.

But this video will do fine. thanks again

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I take it that is you asking that in the Comments? LOL

6. glasshalffull5

yep, that's me :)

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

8. glasshalffull5

wow! thanks Rikky,

I never knew that that manual had that information. That totally helps out. NOw with a little luck, patience, and the ability to follow directions, i should be able to make this happen.

thanks again Rikky and everyone here.

I let you know how it turns out.

9. glasshalffull5

ok, taking apart the computer and replacing the motherboard and i'm noticing some differences between the original board and the new "refurbished" board.

here is the refurbished board i purchased:

http://laptopparts.vivotechnology.net/Items/mb-hp-v031

the original motherboard has a nvidia chip that looks to be glued to it with some sort of red substance. I assume that is the video card. this laptop has a hd dvd drive and will play hd on it's screen.

the refurbished motherboard doesn't have this nvidia chip on it, just the markings that show where this chip would go.

how will not having this chip on the replacement motherboard affect the laptop from working? will the video actually work if i install the refurbished motherboard the way it is.... without that nvidia chip? will the motherboard work as is?

thanks

10. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

Looks like you might have gotten the wrong MB. H/P used Intel and AMD processors in there DV series laptops you bought an Intel mb. I know that the AMD model has the NVIDIA BGA chip on them. You need to look at the part number under the RAM modules (447984-001) is the one that you bought compare that to your original board. If you needed a AMD board your replacement will not work unless you buy a Intel CPU.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. glasshalffull5

yep, the hp rep that i spoke to thru online chat gave me the wrong part number.

he gave me part number 447984-001.

i need 447983-001. which has some added features. Now the company i got the part from is telling me they are going to charge me a restocking fee as they don't have my part.

i found the correct part but it's gonna take a few more days to get it here.

what a joke.

12. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

Looks like that motherboard would still work but you might take a video performance hit by using the on board Intel extreme graphics instead of discrete NVIDIA chip. I see so many DV series with NVIDIA GPU's that have problems it might be wise to stick with the board you got rolleyes Check out www.hplies.com It would save you restocking fees. Something to think about.

13. glasshalffull5

hey reaper,

what kind of performance hit do you think i would take....roughly?

I'm not at all worried about losing high depth or anything like that, i need this computer back up and running ASAP as i do all of my business on it.

If the performance hit that you mention is in the neighborhood of, pages not being able to be shown, then that might be a problem, but if we are talking about losing high quality...and settling for just being able to visualize things on the laptop then i'll go ahead and start putting this thing back together.

what's your best guess, or your ideas, as to what would happen with this new motherboard if i used it?

thanks for the mention, it might save me alot of time and money.

14. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

By performance i mean if you do heavy gaming it will probably be slower but for normal usage , web surfing, email shouldnt notice a difference. You might run into video driver issues but should be easy to load new intel video drivers. I usually buy exact replacement motherboards but I dont know why this board would not work as long as all external ports are in the same areas. If you are comfortable in putting in the new board why not try it before you send it back if it does not work out you can order the exact part later. I repair laptops for a living so it would only take me about 20 mins to install and try it out, I know it is a pain in the butt taking these things apart without breaking something. Take your time and dont force anything. Make sure to use CPU thermal compound when installing the heatsink.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  15. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

Also make sure the heatsink will mount the same on the new motherboard I know it will have a extra pad where the NVIDIA chip is supposed to be thats ok just make sure it mounts properly on the CPU if not dont even try it. I wish I could give you a definite yes or no on this but I am not sure.

16. glasshalffull5

this would work fine if everything matches like you mention.

I do not use this for gaming at all. only occasionally for watching movies but will sacrifice that if i need to.

i actually recorded myself with a video camera taking this apart in case i have problems putting it back together as both the hp instructions and the youtube video that explain how to replace the mb had things that didn't make sense...or weren't even on my computer.

i know it's not an exact science, but i'll take my time and put it back together and see what happens.

not sure what you're talking about with the heatsink but i'll sit down and study it in detail and learn what needs to take place.

i attached pictures of my original motherboard and the replacement that point out the differences.

thanks for the great news, this might not be as bad as i thought it would be...if everything matches properly.

i'll let you know how it goes.

Attached Files:

17. glasshalffull5

ok i now understand what you are talking about Reaper.

the heatsink looks like it will mount the same on this MB but there is no extra pad where the nvidia chip is supposed to be.

you can see in the pics that i show where the chip is missing on the new board. the nvidia chip on the original board doesn't have anything touching it. it does have a slight bit of what i call "red glue" underneath it that you can see coming out from around the corners.

the new board just has that spot empty, so there shouldn't be any problem

18. glasshalffull5

do i need to remove this part from the old MB and put it onto the new MB?
    (see pic)

Attached Files:

19. Rikky

No its the heatsink mount for the video chip,leave it on the old board and bolt the video heatsink back on the old board so its all in one piece,then burn it:-D

You should be able watch movies fine up to DVD quality with both boards.

20. glasshalffull5

so i don't need to transfer the heat sink from the old mb to the new one at all!?

that would help things as i would need to install some female thread mounts so that the heat sink can screw into the new mb (see pics)

Attached Files:

21. glasshalffull5

watching another youtube video on this and someone is mentioning that if you see "bubbles" around the chip or cpu that it could mean that the chip is bad.

now i'm wondering if this chip looks ok? I cannot tell if those are bubbles that had formed in the heat compound or not.

is there anyway to tell for sure? does it look ok? should i put more compound on the top of this before i pu the fan assembly back over the cpu?

thanks for help.

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      72 KB
      Views:
  22. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

No your fine just clean up all of excess around the shiney part with alcohol or lighter fluid. Clean the heatsink side too and apply new thermal grease. Dont use to much about a half grain of rice size spot "I use arctic silver". In 25 years of computer repair I have only seen 2 CPU's that where actually bad. There are usually numbers on the heatsink that tell you what screws to tighten first. I usually start all of the screws first and then start with the number 1 screw and tighten in order stamped on the heat sink.

23. glasshalffull5

cool thanks Reaper,

i went up to my local computer parts store and they helped me remove the bracket that the heatsink screws into from the old board as i wasn't sure you could do that.

i got compound as well and it's arctic silver 5, so it looks like i guessed right.

i see the numbered screws on the heatsink so hopefully i can handle putting it back together.

thanks for the guidance and help

24. glasshalffull5

What is the best way to reconnect all of the bands, i guess those are called ZIF connectors, that need to go into the slits on the computer?

Is there some sort of trick for doing this? (see pic)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  25. glasshalffull5

i figured that connector out but these are different and i'm not sure how to open them up.

any ideas?

Attached Files:

26. Rikky

There's a couple of different types the usual ones have clips at either side that you lock down after inserting the cable,the ones you've post look like spring loaded ones that you can jam the cable into,see if you can either pull the two metal things at either side upwards away from the motherboard and insert the cable or slide them backward or forwards.

Sometimes they are just spring loaded and you just jam the cable in,if so it should have some resistance as you push it in,thats the friction between the pins,the type you have to lock down usually slide in really easy and seem to move around until you lock them down.

27. glasshalffull5

what piece of the mobo is this?

this sparked on my hp dv9500 laptop motherboard (see pic)

i hooked up the battery to test the board to see if it was working before i put the entire laptop back together and 1 of the 2 "circuits" in the PL2 section burned out.

what is this? can i fix it?

or....can the computer work with it burned out?

thanks for any help

Attached Files:

28. glasshalffull5

a tech at the local computer store told me that if i burned up a capacitor that i would probably have to get a whole new motherboard as it's not easy to replace a capacitor.

I wonder though, if i did destroy a capacitor, couldn't i just hire a repairman out of the yellowpages or from craigslist to replace it?

29. Rikky

Well its unlikely it is just a capacitor,capacitors are pretty tough for one capacitor to just fry instantly would mean a fair bit of current went through it they usually degrade over time but still kinda work,I would guess something else is wrong that blew the capacitor.

I've heard of motherboard repair places but I've never used one everyone just replaces them,the level of technical knowledge needed to diagnose a single fault on all brands and motherboards is beyond me.

Replacing a cap is pretty easy if you have a serviceable knowledge of electronics and soldering.

30. glasshalffull5

well i'm going to finish putting it back together completely and see if it powers up and works.

if it does power up, then i can at least hurry to get the info off of my hard drives that i need right away as i had added the data i needed in between my weekly backup and it's not on my external drive backup.

i just hope i can successfully put it back together correctly. all the videos and hp instruction don't exactly fit the needs of my computer or are hard to follow as they don't completely match my laptop, as it was a custom order from hp.

I'll be back when i have it together later today

crossing my fingers

31. Rikky

You can connect a laptop hard drive to a desktop computer you know,it has the same SATA connectors? Then browse the files and get what you need.

32. glasshalffull5

yeah, not familiar with the process but I'll google it and do that...if needed.

not too hard to put that together...i've just never done it before so i'll read up

thanks

i'll let you know what happens asi try to power up shortly

33. Rikky

It isn't a special process you just connect the laptop hard drive to your desktop like you would any other drive,laptop hard drives are exactly the same as desktop hard drives just smaller.

34. glasshalffull5

bad news...i got it back together and now it won't turn on at all.

it did before...then it would goto grey screen, now i just see the led lights on top but nothing happens when i hit the power button.

i guess i blew out that surface-mount resistor in the pic on post #27

35. glasshalffull5

bad news...i got it back together and now it won't turn on at all.

it did before...then it would goto grey screen, now i just see the led lights on top but nothing happens when i hit the power button.

i guess i blew out that surface-mount resistor in the pic on post #27

edit: i did recognize that the power switch doesn't have any LED light at all. I wonder if there might be something i missed putting it back together that's not connected properly inside.

Attached Files:

36. glasshalffull5

well something is not happening correctly.

I have just received another motherboard and swapped it out with the one that had a part burn up on it as i was installing it.

this is the 2nd replacement board, basically. It went in without a problem but i got the same response when i went to turn it on. just like when i tried to power up the first time i replaced the motherboard, when i plug the laptop in all the led lights come on except for the power button light (see pic)

when i press power nothing happens.

did i do something wrong in putting this back together? everything was connected properly as i double checked.

Just as a reminder this is a different board than the original that came in the laptop but i was told by people here (earlier in this thread) and also the people at HP customer support, that this board would work. (see the 2nd pic for the different mobo options from hp for this laptop)

could it be that this board doesn't work with this laptop setup.

what could be the causing it not to power up? with the original problem, the laptop would at least power on and bootup, it just had a grey screen, now it won't power up at all with the replacement board

Attached Files:

37. glasshalffull5

someone suggested that i might need a different ac adapter but everything seems to work with the ac adapter on the new motherboard, it connects and looks to be getting serving up power, i just can't get the laptop to power on.

do you think that could be the issue? or maybe that the power button board connector cable is bad?

reminder: i'm getting the same response from either motherboard that i put into the laptop

38. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

Sorry you are having so much trouble you are probably ready to throw the laptop out the window!!! Some ideas that you can try, make sure the two ribbon cables are not upside down the one going to the power button and the other going to the led board. You need to make sure the metal "fingers" are touching the contacts inside of the connector. I dont have a dv series laptop open right now so i cant tell you the correct orientation. I have seen these ribbon cables go bad before a trick you can try is to swap the led board cable with the power switch cable they are the same. Hopefully this will help.

39. glasshalffull5

I will give that a try, reaper,

but if i recall the power button ribbon was fixed to the bottom side of the top cover (just underneath the keyboard) and was folded at specific angles in a way that made the ribbon line up perfectly with the female connector slot

it's definitely worth checking and i'll look at it and report back

thanks

40. glasshalffull5

the cables all seem to be in place the correct way.

is there any way to check if the ribbon cable is bad?

i tried powering up the laptop without putting everything back together by pushing the power button down and i still get nothing. Not even sure you can power it up that way or not.

its got to be either the power button board or one of these ribbon cables. But the board was fine before i took this laptop apart so i assume the ribbons must be bad.

i guess the next step is to check the ribbons and cables. what do i need to do that?

where is a good place to find these cables if i locate a faulty one?

I doubt my local microcenter.com store here in St. Louis will have it.

Attached Files:

41. glasshalffull5

ok, i had a computer repairman from craigslist tell me that he's sure it's the battery or the power adapter.

But i've tried 2 different power cords and have the same issue so i don't think it's the cord.

as far as the battery goes, this is a 2007 laptop and the battery has never been replaced, mostly because i never used it. I always kept the laptop plugged in so i never noticed any problems with the battery.

But i've now been trying to fix this laptop for more than 3 weeks and the battery has been out of the laptop sitting, so when i finally got the laptop back together and tried to fire it up, could the battery have been deleted of charge and now be drained to the point it won't recharge?

so my problem is either the battery, the power button board, or the cables/ribbon hooked into it.

42. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

I doubt that your ac adapter or battery are bad but you never know because of the shorted component on the previous mb may have damage something else. What concerns me is that when you plug the laptop in all of the leds (except the power led) are on. There should not be any leds on except the blue ring around the dc jack until the power switch is depressed. Hard to tell what is going with this laptop. You can find replacement flex ribbon cables on ebay pretty cheap just search for "DV9000 power switch flex cable". As far as the power switch board itself you will have to look on it for a part number similar to the motherboard part number and search ebay. Here is a link to store near me that has it but is pretty expensive.
    http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Laptop,Part,432987001.aspx
    As far as testing the ribbon cable it is a "straight through cable" so you will need a multi meter and check for continuity from one end to the other.

Good luck and let me know the results

43. glasshalffull5

I just put the original mobo back in and now I'm getting the same results as the other 2 motherboards. I thought by going back to the original board , maybe i could reverse engineer, but now all the results are the same with all the boards.

man i'm getting flustered

i did notice something though....when i plug the battery into the bottom of the laptop, that's when all of the led lights come on. Regardless of whether or not the power adapter cord is plugged in.

44. Reaper1965

Reaper1965 Private E-2

There is definitely something wrong. I have never seen leds come on just by inserting the battery?? What does it do without the battery and using the ac adapter by itself??? Also you can remove all components (hard drive, modem, cdrom, wifi card) and try to power it up. Also you dont need the led panel connected to see if it will power on. Dont know what else to tell you? Might have to take it to a computer repair shop (that has experience with laptops).

Keep me posted

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds