Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Software' started by murphy2003, Sep 19, 2003.

1. murphy2003

murphy2003 Private First Class

I have a full install of Windows Me and want to uninstall WindowsXP (I know you think Im nuts).Can I install over XP or do I have to format.I originally upgraded to XP from Me and deleted the uninstall files. Emachine-500MHz-256Ram-8,4GB H.D.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If you chose NTFS when installing XP then you will have to delete and rebuild your HD master partition then format to FAT32 with a ME startup disk, as ME wont install on NTFS.

3. murphy2003

I have Fat32 file system still.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Are you going to format the HD first to remove all traces of XP then install ME if so it should be a problem... I wouldnt advise installing ME over the top on XP tho as loads of junk maybe left and cause ME to become unstable.

Backup all important stuff first before you do anything tho...

5. murphy2003

Ok, thanks Halo:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds